Kitchen peninsula receptacles under 42" bar countertop with 13" overhang

Users who are viewing this thread

detroittola

Reaction score
I realize that a receptacle on a peninsula less than 12" below the countertop but under an overhang greater than 6" will not count as the required peninsula receptacle, but can it still be there? I have read this over and over in the 2011 NEC and I do not see that I can't put one there. I only see that it won't meet the peninsula receptacle requirement.

To make it even more grey, can it be on one of the small branch appliance circuits?

I want two 120V/USB receptacles 3" below the 42" high peninsula countertop bar (13"overhang) on the living room side to mainly facilitate cell phone/tablet charging. I'd like to add these into one of the two kitchen small appliance branch circuits.

Thanks,

Don

Reaction score
You cannot find a prohibition to do it. Just a statement that the arrangement that you describe does not satisfy the requirement for an outlet?

That is what you are reading, then there is no rule against it.

Are the outlets in the kitchen or in the living room?

If they are in the kitchen, they can be on the small appliance circuits.

If they are in the living room, most likely they cannot.

detroittola

Reaction score
You cannot find a prohibition to do it. Just a statement that the arrangement that you describe does not satisfy the requirement for an outlet?

That is what you are reading, then there is no rule against it.

Are the outlets in the kitchen or in the living room?

If they are in the kitchen, they can be on the small appliance circuits.

If they are in the living room, most likely they cannot.

This is still part of the grey area. These 2 outlets would be on the living room side of the peninsula. My gas range is on the opposite side (kitchen side) of this same peninsula though. So if these outlets were under an overhang of 6" or less, they would count as the required countertop receptacle which would be part of the sabc.

Reaction score
Yes, It's my home and I want to do it right.

"Right" is a debatable concept here.

Were it my house I would not give a flying fig about the outlets on the backside of the island being technically in the living room but being on an appliance circuit.

That big overhang might create situations in which the items are readily pulled off the counter, but that is a different matter.

I know of no prohibitions to your putting outlets where you propose to put them, and you have found none in the code. So you can call that good.

You know that these outlets do not satisfy code requirements that you have outlets on the island, so I assume that you do actually have such outlets.

And I can think of no reason in your home or mine that either of us should worry about these outlets being on the appliance circuit.

Go and sin no more, my son.

detroittola

Reaction score
"Right" is a debatable concept here.

Were it my house I would not give a flying fig about the outlets on the backside of the island being technically in the living room but being on an appliance circuit.

That big overhang might create situations in which the items are readily pulled off the counter, but that is a different matter.

I know of no prohibitions to your putting outlets where you propose to put them, and you have found none in the code. So you can call that good.

You know that these outlets do not satisfy code requirements that you have outlets on the island, so I assume that you do actually have such outlets.

And I can think of no reason in your home or mine that either of us should worry about these outlets being on the appliance circuit.

Go and sin no more, my son.

Haha! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I cut the holes today and will wire them up when they arrive, hopefully tomorrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks