kitchen peninsula outlet

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by samlin7, Jun 18, 2008.

1. samlin7

samlin7 New Member

Hi

I was told my kitchen peninsula needed an outlet to be up to code.

I am not sure where to put the outlet? There are 3 sides,
    side 1: faces the kitchen are
    side 2: faces the walk through area into my kicthen
    side 3: Faces the larger open area/dining room

I think i need it on side 2, but am not sure,

Also I don't know if I need to put it 12-18" above the ground or a couple inches below the counter?

My peninsula is 5' long.

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends on how big (long) the island counter is; it could require more than one. Sometimes, it's nice to put the outlet IN the countertop. This would allow you to plug in things and not have the cord hanging over the edge. Wait for the pros for a real answer. You really need to ask the inspector what he wants to pass it. What is required would somewhat depend on which code applies where you live...they are not the same everwhere. For yours, I'd consider one on each end. I think they like one every 4'., but I suppose one in the middle would keep it below that distance.
  3. samlin7

samlin7 New Member

my countertop is granite, I prefer not have an outlet on the counter top.

But is having an outlet every 4' in the kitchen code? which i why you brought that up?

thanks
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Generally, yes. The specifics are in the code, which I haven't read in awhile, so that's why I said wait...
  5. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

The general idea is that you don't need to use an extention cord anywhere and that appliance wires would not need to be draped over a sink to get to the outlet.
  6. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

210.52(C)(3) Peninsular Counter Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular counter space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12in.) or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge.

There is nothing in 210.52(C)(3) that requires more than one receptacle.

210.52(C)(5) requires that the receptacle be not more than 12" below the countertop and shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 6" beyond the base.

If the peninsula is divided by a range or sink then 210.52(C)(4) requires that any space larger than 12 x 24 inches have an outlet.
  7. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Bob nailed it.
    An island or peninsula needs only ONE receptacle by code, regardless of size, unless it is split by a sink or cooktop. Then it is considered two spaces.
  8. kd

kd New Member

If installed on the top of the counter, you would need a periscope or pill box type of enclosure or a vertical wall or split level counter top wall, so that fluids could not be easily spilled into the outlet.
  9. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

UUUGGGGLYYYYYY.
  10. samlin7

samlin7 New Member

Thanks for the input it helps

Wanna ask for some ideas, when you install the outlet, do people just leave the romex cable exposed in the base cabinets or do they use some sort of conduit?

Thanks
  11. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

I do, but some feel it subject to physical damage.
  12. GShelton

GShelton New Member

Just run the Romex out of the top of the box and secure it as high up in the cabinet as possible. (Way toward the rear so it will clear any drawers, etc..) Should not be an issue then.

If it will make you sleep better at night, you can run it in metal flex, but it will be fine without it as long as you secure it out of the way.