Kitchen P-Trap Question

Users who are viewing this thread

cover

Reaction score
I've been having a difficult time in getting a new PVC P-trap assembly leak-free under my kitchen sink. I think part of the issue as I try to transition from metal components was using pipe dope on the PVC fittings as one might do with metal components. I intend to strip out and try to get into PVC and given PVC is inexpensive enough, go back in with new parts and no pipe dope.

One big question I have is the transition fitting that connects the trap to the steel pipe in the wall (attached image). For PVC, can I use the existing steel fitting or should I remove it and install a special PVC fitting in its place? Any special nut and plastic compression sleeve or just a standard plastic nut and compression tapered sleeve? Access is pretty tight so I thought I'd leave it if possible but eliminating leaks is of course, most important.

Here'a pic of the same thing that served me well for a number of years but this time, it appears the rubber gaskets (sleeves?) aren't holding up at the yellow arrow nut connection areas.

This mess got started when I tried to snake a drain issue and poked a hole in the old tubular trap for a problem I still have on the other side of the wall (still a plugging issue) so I'll be snaking the other side of the wall and then working this trap area over to make leak-free soon. Also, the trap didn't seem to leak until I followed the recommendation of many, to pour boiling water down my drain to clear the plugged drain.

Everything under the sink is new now and I have enough money in it where I HOPE to just wipe pipe joint compound off and re-use everything, if that would be possible. Otherwise I was thinking new and PVC fittings, just to save in the replacement costs the second time around. Thoughts?

TIA

Attachments

• sinktrap.jpg
    sinktrap.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 328
  • sinktrap2.jpg
    sinktrap2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 345

CountryBumkin

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes the galvanized nipple needs to be replaced as the threads at the end tend to disappear.
The slip joint washer makes the seal when everything is solid. No need for tape there. It can be very hard to remove those.
It looks like you have a brass threaded adapter on the nipple, which can take dope or tape, assuming the end of the nipple hasn't desolved at the end of the threading.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks