Kitchen P-trap leaking. What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Didymus21, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Didymus21

Didymus21 New Member

Feel like I've tried everything. I even left disposer disconnected and only filled trap and it still had a leak after about 10 minutes from the threaded connection. Am I missing something, or could this part be bad? If I buy another, will I need to cut off and re-solvent connect?

Would it be better to just cut off near wall and do a 1-1/2" X 1-1/2" marvin slip joint from Ferguson?

So frustrated with this....

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It may be that the angle is wrong for surfaces to match up.
    I would intall a slip joint p-trap with a new trap adapter. I don't bother trying to install the type of p-trap you have.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Put some pipe joint compound on the tapered area and tighten the trap. If it still leaks cut the pipe and install a slip joint trap adapter and tubular trap.
  4. Didymus21

Didymus21 New Member

K thanks guys. I bought a new piece and it seems to be holding for now. I think I'll do some pipe dope as extra insurance, but if I continue to have problems I'll just install a slip joint. So much easier to do that...