Kitchen lights dim when oven heats

Users who are viewing this thread

haese56

Reaction score
We have a 3 build (dimmable LEDs) in our kitchen.

We don't use our oven much at all or these lights lately since we live in Alaska and it's light all summer.

Recently we were using the oven with the lights on and when something cycled in the electric oven, ( maybe a fan maybe a heating element not sure), the lights just flicked once. This happened each time we heard "whatever" cycle in the oven. The stove is on a totally separate circuit.

We recently had a hot tub installed 240v separate circuit. Is it probable that the hot tub heater and stove might have been drawing at the same time causing the lights to flicker?

We supposedly have 2 x 100amp services to our small house. Oil fired boiler heat. Also oil hot water (loop).

My electrician recently changed out some breakers in the panel

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
When you say 2x100A service, do you have 2 separate meters, and feeds from your electric utility? Are the oven, hot tub, and lights fed from the same 100A panel?

haese56

Reaction score
image.jpg
No
When you say 2x100A service, do you have 2 separate meters, and feeds from your electric utility? Are the oven, hot tub, and lights fed from the same 100A panel?

No it's one meter actually now looking I just see one 200 amp breaker

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 200a panel should handle everything without any disco effects. Start cheap and swap out the LED bulbs for a different type and see what happens. If it's not some kind of anomaly associated with the bulbs, move on to the dimmer and bypass or swap it out and recheck for the flickering issue. If it persists, I'd have the electrician recheck his work in the panel etc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IT could be as simple as a loose connection. This could be anywhere - from the power pole, at the meter, coming into the panel, at the panel, at the switch, at the light fixture. A loose connection often appears as a higher resistance. If it is really loose, if your house had arc fault detectors (required on most new construction), it might trip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks