Kitchen faucet nut won't budge for removal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by learning, Aug 2, 2010.

1. learning

learning New Member

I'm having an impossible time removing a 16-year-old Moen M7800 kitchen faucet. It's to be completely replaced, so it doesn't matter if it gets damaged in the process.

Here's the main problem: rather than there being three lines (hot, cold, spray) that run through the central hole in the sink, there is a one central copper threaded line, with copper pipe extensions for all three connections soldered to the base of that.

So there is only one rather large fixture attaching it to the underside of the sink, with a single metal washer and nut. The nut is about 1 3/8 - 1.5 inches diameter, and due to it's size, a basin wrench won't go around it. Due to it's age, it's corroded. It's in behind the center of a double sink, and hard to get a good grip with enough force with anything large enough to go around the nut.

My local big box hardware store suggested spraying it with PB Blaster and giving it a go, even whacking it with a hammer to loosen it. I've done all that, but with no luck so far.

I posted a full-size high resolution photo here: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e8a57ce883.jpg so you can see what I'm up against.

Oh, the garbage disposal is out, so there is a bit more room to move around under there. It's being replaced too, so it's gone so I could get at the faucet.

If I could just get this nut off, I could be on with the rest of the project! Has anyone else run into this? Thank you for any advice and suggestions.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That doesn't look that corroded. There are basin wrenches, and then there are basin wrenches.
  3. jay_wat

jay_wat Plumber

get the proper sized drill bit,,that will make quick work of it! good luck to ya!!
  4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

You need a ridgid # 1017 basin wrench that will take it right off !

They are made much heavy-er duty then the cheap you might buy at a hardware store
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The neat way is to cut the nut with a dremel. I like to use a cold chisel. The nut will either turn, or split. It takes some "touch" because you don't want to damage the sink. I have done it often, with no accidents.
  6. learning

learning New Member

Comforting to hear someone more experienced refer to it as not that corroded. (Pic was taken after 2 applications of PB Blaster, which did help some.) Excellent point about the basin wrenches. The ones I've seen around here (so far) are the smaller ones meant for water line connections, so I'll have to keep looking.
  7. learning

learning New Member

@jay_wat: if only I had one that sizeā€¦
    @MACPLUMB 777: Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction for what to look for. Very helpful, as the ones I keep finding are pretty "cheap" feeling.
    @jimbo: I tried something similar to the chisel method you describe, with a flat-head screwdriver and a hammer, which obviously doesn't have the heft and force of impact a good chisel does. Great idea with the dremel. I might be able to borrow one; will have to do some calling in the morning.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your expertise with me!
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I guess what was meant was "if you want to see corroded, you should have seen the monster over at Mrs. Smith's house!" Sort of plumber's wives tales!
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

Even if you get it "loose" you will have a problem unless you have someone to hold the top while you struggle with the nut. Use a drill bit and drill on both sides of the nut. It will then "fall off".