Kitchen Faucet Loose

Users who are viewing this thread

Dritz

Reaction score
First, I am clueless on DIY plumbing stuff but this seems like it should be a simple fix. I have one of those single handle kitchen sinks that you move from left to right for hot/cold and forward/back for water. I have an attached sprayer on the end of this old faucet that allows me to go from spray to stream by pulling down and pushing up. With all this pushing, pulling, left and right etc., my faucet has come loose from the porcelain sink top. It is still attached and works but one side pops up. How can I glue it back down to where it will stick in place again and allow me to continue the normal operation? I bought some plumber's putty but haven't tried using it yet because there are no instructions on it. I guess they assume if you bought it you know how to use it, plus I guess it works for all sorts of applications. I don't know if that will work, how to use it so that it will work, if there's like a drying time etc. Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Or am I crazy to try? BTW, I can't crawl under the sink or do any acrobatics so I'm hoping that's not needed.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wrong answer, you do need to get under sink,
Best to call a plumber and have them install
A new faucet if it is as old and loose,
time to replace it

Dritz

Reaction score
Drat, I was afraid of that! I am hoping to do a kitchen remodel in the not too distant future so I was hoping to avoid that. Thanks for the reply!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, the faucet will tighten from underneath, except for a few Grohe kitchen faucets.
Plumbers putty doesn't stick the faucet down. All it does is act like a dam to help prevent water from finding it's way past the faucet deck.

Dritz

Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I guess it is time to call a plumber. I was hoping for an easy fix, well easy for me!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the method used to anchor your faucet, it might be quite simple to tighten it down. If it uses a nut, and because of the location, you might need a tool called a basin wrench to reach it. Some designs, all you need is a screw-driver. You would have a few choices at a big box store or a good hardware store, and it certainly would be much less expensive than a plumber. Some are larger, and some are smaller, depending on the size of the nut you need to tighten, and how deep the sink is.
basin wrench.jpg

LarryLeveen

Reaction score
You might try some thin rubber between the metal plate and the counter top.

There is some sort of translucent washer between the faucet base and the granite. Maybe it is too slippery, and something more rubbery would work better. What about silicone glue? Think that would hold?

iu

Reach4

Reaction score
That treatment on the bottom of the granite looks interesting. I am thinking it may add some padding to account for irregularities in the surface. It looks like parallel beads of what may be a silicone crossed by some special strings. It may be serving as a lube as a side effect.

I have cut a piece of a course Scotch-brite pad to fit between two pieces of plastic to increase friction. It works for me.

There is tape used on skateboards that is made to have higher friction. "Printer's Friend" silicone rubber tape is supposed to supply friction.

LarryLeveen

Reaction score
That treatment on the bottom of the granite looks interesting. I am thinking it may add some padding to account for irregularities in the surface. It looks like parallel beads of what may be a silicone crossed by some special strings. It may be serving as a lube as a side effect.

I have cut a piece of a course Scotch-brite pad to fit between two pieces of plastic to increase friction. It works for me.

There is tape used on skateboards that is made to have higher friction. "Printer's Friend" silicone rubber tape is supposed to supply friction.

Can you further explain the "Scotch brite pd to fit between two pieces of plastic"? I didn't get what's up with that "sandwich".

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you further explain the "Scotch brite pd to fit between two pieces of plastic"? I didn't get what's up with that "sandwich".
I see I made that confusing. I put a tablet-computer holder, made of plastic, that expands into a molded plastic cup holder in a car console. Did not hold well. I cut a scotchbrite pad with scissors, wrapped the piece around the holder base, and expanded the base. Much more secure.

Not the same thing, but it might work as a low-slip pad. Scotchbrite pads are often more available than some alternatives.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks