Kitchen faucet has less and less pressure -- now barely works

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by eeka, Jul 20, 2008.

1. eeka

eeka New Member

I'm in an old house with 1980s-ish fixtures. My kitchen faucet has steadily declined from having crappy-but-not-unusually-so water pressure to its current state, where it's literally a very slow drip when opened up full blast. There's a sprayer attachment, the kind that comes off of both supply lines in the base of the faucet assembly. Sprayer works fine and hasn't lost any pressure -- it's how we now have to wash everything. I haven't tried replacing the supply lines, but there are no leaks under the sink and as I said, the sprayer works fine. Any ideas what could be causing this and what I'd do about it? I plan to rip out the whole kitchen in the next year or so, but in the meantime, I'd love to know if there's a quick fix for this. Thanks!
  2. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

Take the aerator (screen) off and see if you have better water pressure.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It may also be a bad diverter... Check the aerator first and post back...
  4. eeka

eeka New Member

Oh, aerator's off. Tried that months ago when it started getting lower. Thanks!
  5. eeka

eeka New Member

Ah, so basically, the water is all heading into the sprayer and just sitting there unless I open up the sprayer?
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Okay then lets look at the diverter!
    What brand and model faucet do you have?
    If unknown please post a picture.
  7. Cass

Cass Plumber

Is your water piping galvanized pipe?
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

why?

Is your water piping galvanized pipe?

It is immaterial. She has good sprayer pressure so the problem has to be between that and the spout. The only thing between the sprayer and the spout, since the aerator is gone, is the diverter.
  9. eeka

eeka New Member

Cheap one that came with the house:

[​IMG]

Let me know if there's more info you need. Thanks!
  10. eeka

eeka New Member

I'm not sure. What would that look like?
  11. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

12. eeka

eeka New Member

Hey, thanks so much. Could I just take the diverter out and leave it out until I replace the faucet? It seems like this would be preferable to using the sprayer all the time, and I'm not real keen on spending money on a faucet I'm going to get rid of soon anyway.
  13. eeka

eeka New Member

Trying to get the spout cap off. Am I trying to screw or pry? Neither seems to be getting anywhere. Also, the brand of the faucet is Glacier Bay; noticed the faint logo when mutilating the thing just now. Thanks!
  14. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Oh boy! It should still be in that area. Nix the part number though! The cap should unscrew. Chances are you will not be able to get the replacement part. This is a disposable faucet.

Consider a Moen or, Delta when replacing it.
    The quality difference is substantial!
  15. eeka

eeka New Member

Oh, I figured it was pretty much disposable. This house seems to have been badly renovated in the '80s or '90s. Just looking for some way to make it less sucky until I rip the kitchen out. I've been happy with Deltas.

I'll try taking out the diverter and letting you know what happens.