Kitchen faucet - best made???

Users who are viewing this thread

Justagirl28

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just wanting some opinions on at least a brand and maybe a series or whatever of a certain brand on a kitchen faucet. Redoing countertops in kitchen as well as new sink, dishwasher, etc. I never like asking the place I'm buying it from because I usually assume they will just tell me what they want to sell, so I thought I'd ask here. We have some Moen (I think?) faucets in our bathrooms and they seem kinda flimsy and cheap so wanting something more durable for the kitchen. Thanks! :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is no "best faucet made". Each of us has his/her preference, with #2, #3, etc. following it. Kitchen faucets are usually completely different than bath faucets so you cannot compare them. My preferences are Pfister Faucets, Delta, and Moen a distant third. Others will have a completely differnt list, including Grohe, Hansgrohe, Kohler, etc., because they have had a history with those brands. In other words, go with the faucet you like as long as it is not the $19.95 blue light special.

Justagirl28

Reaction score
Ok..thanks! I guess I just assumed there were certain brands that were generally just "cheaper" and not as well built as others, so I was trying to steer clear of those. Of course a big part of it will be the how the faucet looks, but I didn't want to go strictly on that.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
stay away from the 'glacier bay' and other beautiful but internally junk valves that have no support. I like American standard - they are sending me new parts free for a 12 year old faucet still.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All the major brands of faucets make versions in what you could describe as "good/better/best" categories. To some extent, you get what you pay for.
You do pay up for exotic styling, and exotic finishes like brush nickel or rubbed bronze.

For longevity, you go commercial like Chicago brand, but no styling there! Many folks like the expensive residential brands like KWC or Grohe. It is not so easy or cheap to repair those, however.

We all can offer an opinion, but I don't think there is any one "right" answer

Chefwong

Reaction score
Funny u mention Chicago> I was just doing a indepth look at Chicago faucets and I said to myself....looks like they have not changed their lineup in years.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I use almost exclusively Moen for all faucets..always have... unbeatable warranty and awesome customer service...does this make them the "best"?....NO...
The biggest difference is big box store junk or "professional grade"....
for example....in my wholesale Moen catalogue it doesn't even list models that i would see at box stores, hardware stores etc. they are generally not the same quality and have lots of cheap plastic parts.

Will Rogers Plumbing

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.willrogersplumbing.com
I use Moen or Delta mostly on kitchen faucets as they are the easiest to stuck parts for and easiest to repair. I don't really like the pull out spray on the spout, those don't seem to be very reliable no matter what brand you go with.

Reaction score
I don't really like the pull out spray on the spout, those don't seem to be very reliable no matter what brand you go with.

Yep, that's what I'm learning with the Price Pfister we have (a WKP-5, it was new when I moved in.) The flowrate keeps declining in it. It is now down to 0.8 gpm (measured), less than half of what it was when I first noticed issues with reduced flow a couple years ago, it was down to 1.67 gpm then. Design should be 2.0 - 2.2 gpm. I'm wondering if a new cartridge will restore the flow.

However, I have found that I like this spray arrangement...even though I need to rig a basket for the spray line below so that it will quit snagging on the shut off valves, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The flow rate changes because the inlet to the spout is getting plugged. Either remove the screen or call 1-800-PFAUCET and get a new spout, (that is what I do, but I can get mine from the distributor without calling them).

Reaction score
The flow rate is not likely due to cartridge...check the aerator

It is not the aerator. Even with the 2.2 gpm aerator completely removed I only get 0.9 gpm. With the entire head removed I get 1.3 gpm. And yes, the PRV is holding set pressure during this--I've got a gauge a few feet from it.

Reaction score
The flow rate changes because the inlet to the spout is getting plugged. Either remove the screen or call 1-800-PFAUCET and get a new spout, (that is what I do, but I can get mine from the distributor without calling them).

By spout do you mean the entire sprayhead (which screws off)? Because while that increases the flow, it is still only a fraction of what it should be.

I called them and the rep said it sounds like the cartridge. He's sending both it and the sprayhead--although the cartridge is back ordered.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some designs, do not know on this one (you should have the parts diagram!) have a filter screen on the inlet. That could be partially plugged up.

Justagirl28

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! So the big box stores have cheaper made models of certain brands? Should I just go to a plumbing supply place for a "professional grade" model?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends...in most lines, the professional pack sells the 'guts' and the trim separately. The big box stores generally package them all together. Part of this is to protect their price-match policy. Even though some or all of the components may be the same, they can package them in combinations that let them get a separate part number, and therefore not subject to price matching.

Then, you have to consider where you live, as CA has some restrictions on materials that can be used (forcing more plastic) than most of the rest of the country (they're catching up, though). So, a big box store might stock one that can be sold everywhere even though you may not require it (most of this relates to their anti-lead requirements).

So, sometimes, if the part numbers match exactly, doesn't matter what or where you buy it, but sometimes, it does. Some places buy enough so that they can dictate ways to cut costs.

Reaction score
Some designs, do not know on this one (you should have the parts diagram!) have a filter screen on the inlet. That could be partially plugged up.

Parts diagram didn't show it and it wasn't there during basic disassembly which I've done several times, that is why I asked, assuming he knew something that I didn't. Plumbers have all sorts of handy tricks. That's why I'm here...my experience is more limited and the pro's have seen many things I haven't and they had to fix them.

I'm curious as to whether the cartridge will restore it to "nameplate" flowrates. If it does it will be obvious (but you can bet I'll measure!) When we first used the sprayer the flow was powerful and would splatter everywhere if we weren't careful. It is anemic now, no surprise, at 36% of volumetric flowrate it has little velocity and far less kinetic energy. I knew it had gotten bad, but I was shocked by the numbers I generated from a simple bucket test.

I've got some engineering related ideas as to where the problem might be (I helped solve one of these experimentally with a manufacturer who modified their product accordingly and successfully a few years back), but I'll have to examine the original cartridge to see if any of my ideas make sense. Even if the problem is in the cartridge my lack of familiarity with the design puts my chances at pinpointing the issue at well less than 50/50. Still worth trying though...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For JAD..... the low lead laws are NOT a California thing. It is FEDERAL. As with most things, CA accelerates the implentation. CA, VT, MD,and now some others states, are fully lead free. Federal is Jan 1. 2014. Because of the difficulty of producing and maintaing separate inventories, PP, Moen, Delta are now fully lead free as far as I know. AmStd, Kohler ? Not sure, but they are coming up.

For BISON: feel free to reengineer faucets to your hearts content. You can probably fix your flow rate by replacing the aerator.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks