Kitchen drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Lar-bear, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Lar-bear

Lar-bear New Member

I just purchased house and i'm remodeling kitchen. The current kitchen sink drain is 24 inches from floor to top of 1 and 1/2 inch drain pipe. My sink is 9 and 1/2 inches deep and will be mounted under granite counter top on a sink cabinet 34 inches high. Will I be ok with just 1/2 inch difference. I will not be installing disposal.
  2. SacCity

SacCity In the Trades

You will need to relocate the drain. More clearance is needed.

Open the wall up now while you are doing the remodle.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You need more room, and flexibility for future changes.
    I would shoot for 15-16" off the floor to leave room for a disposal.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I think 15" to 16" is becoming the new standard too.
    Without the disposer, you might be able to do 19", but for those three inches, and for a future alternate universe decision, I would do 16" and call it good.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You have 1 1/2" from the bottom of the sink, NOT from the bottom of the sind drain you will have to install in the sink. Even if you did have 1 1/2" unless you used a "low inlet trap" which are very unstable, the inlet would be above the pipe in the wall. NOTHING will work other than moving the drain line or getting a different sink.