kitchen drain leaking at basement floor

Users who are viewing this thread

65kc

Reaction score
My house kitchen drain galvanized pipe is leaking where it enters the concrete basement floor.

It then runs in the floor about 12' to the main stack.

The plumber recommends two options:
1) cut into the main stack (cast iron I believe) and reroute the kitchen drain. $900
2) break up up to 5' of concrete to repair the existing drain. He's thinking the leak and blockage are at a 90 beneath the leak. $1500 if they have to break up no more than 5' of concrete.

Any advise or guidance on the better plan would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin

Reach4

Reaction score
Confirm that the leak increases when you put water down the sink. If it does not, I would suspect ground water seeping into the basement.

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for what fix to go with if the water does only come up when you use the kitchen sink.

While you are considering sewer plumbing, does your area sometimes get sewer backups after a big storm? If so, maybe you could consider a more comprehensive action.

65kc

Reaction score
It does seem to leak just when I run the kitchen sink. It leaks right at where the pipe enters the floor or comes up from below right along the pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Galvanized piping has a limited (but that can be a long time) lifespan. Sounds like yours is shot. IMHO, you really should abandon or replace any that is currently leaking, as it will continue to get worse and next time, tearing out more to fix the problem will likely just end up costing more. Actual costs are a very local market driven thing. A second opinion may be called for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks