kitchen countertop remodel

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by remodel, Aug 21, 2008.

1. remodel

remodel New Member

Just wanted to know if installing granite on a small kitchen would cost upwards of $7,000. I only have 42 sq ft and live in small town and think this guy is trying to take me.
  2. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

$166.00 sq ft seems very high. Can you get other estimates. Last time I priced it out it was about $60.00 sq ft.
  3. Nate R

Nate R New Member

I've seen places that claim as low a $28/SF starting price. I'd think you could do better than $166. I dunno that I'd want the $28, but 60 sounds more reasonable. Given the small area, 80 doesn't sound out of line.
  4. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson I teach guitar:You call that a job?

This place may be worth looking into:

http://www.marblemaster.com/granite/granite_slab/faq.html

Howard
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

price

The price depends on which granite you choose, the thickness, the way the edges are finished, and the complexity of the installation. The backsplash is usually priced differently from, and in addition to, the main counter. Some installations are $50.00/sq. ft. and others can go to $150.00. Even getting multiple bids can be deceiving unless you can be sure you are looking at the same materials.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You have to be careful pricing granite....so that you compare apples to apples. Most places quote a base price per linear foot, or per square foot. Then, edge details are extra, cut outs are extra, etc.

The price of granite has come down a lot in the last 5~6 years....for the usual reason....they are getting it from CHINA.

Perhaps you want to check the thread just a few above this one, about RADON in granite. Might be a question you need to ask your supplier!
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The raw price for granite can vary from in the $40's to over $200 (there's a really rare blue one that costs over this price) per square foot, not counting edges, sink cutouts and special features (like a sloped dish drainage area with SS or brass inserts, or rodded reinforcements to account for overhangs). Edging can cost from a few $/in to as much as $10 or so. A sink hole is often around $350-400.