Kitchen and lavatory trap sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

Moby

Reaction score
My local plumbing store claims that code says that kitchen traps should now be 2" and bathroom sinks 1 1/2". At the big-box stores, all 1 1/4" trap kits are labelled "Lavatory," and all 1 1/2" kits are labelled "Kitchen." No 2" trap kits seem to be present at all. Regardless of where I ought to buy my plumbing parts, why the discrepancy?

The people at this supply store tend to lie a lot (claiming chrome-plated brass items are stainless steel, insisting various items are not manufactured just because they don't stock them, and pretending that there is no way to identify a stem of known brand from a photo), so are not a good source of information.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Kitchen sinks and laundry trays use 1-1/2" p-traps
Lavs use 1-1/4" p-traps. At least that is the size of the tailpiece.
On recent installs, (since the 60's) we use a 1.5" trap with a 1.5 x 1.25 reducing slip joint washer.

A kitchen sink and laundry tray will have a 2" waste line, with 1.5" trap arm.
Most lavs are plumbed with 1.5" on the waste now. It's hard to find suitable 1.25" pipe anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks