Kinetico sulfur guard valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Dieseldoc

Reaction score
Good evening all,

Along with a new house purchase in June I acquired a softener with a fleck 5600 valve and a kinetico sulfur guard system. Neither seemed to work at move in, I had the local service company come out and check the system, they said everything was in working order. It still seemed to be acting up and I had the privilege of having the fleck stick in backwash and flooding my basement a month later. The service company came out again, did something that wasn't even itemized on the bill and said it was good to go again.

Fast forward another month and I realized the softener was never pulling brine. I'm now intimately familiar with the fleck valve, and I admire its simplicity in function now that I understand it.

The peroxide system (sulfur guard) is my mystery now. In 6 months it's never gone through regen. I finally did a manual regen and it did pull peroxide, but I definitely still have a sulfur smell constantly.

The sulfur guard has a valve on it, slide style spool valve, one side has a stripe of blue tape the other side red tape. Can anyone tell me what this valve is?? No amount of searching tells me, and I refuse to give the dealer any more money at this point. I'm assuming it's temp related but I'd really like to know for sure.

Thanks!
Will

Dieseldoc

Reaction score
Terrible pics... dark hole in my basement

Attachments

• IMG_8579.JPG
    IMG_8579.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,469
  • IMG_8578.JPG
    IMG_8578.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 374

Bannerman

Reaction score
The spool valve shown is a manual bypass. I expect the Fleck valve has similar but likely a turn style control as opposed to a slider.

A bypass on each device permits water to flow past each unit in case either need to be removed for service. Also, if a raw water line wasn't installed for watering grass, both units could be bypassed while irrigation is occurring.

It sounds as though the Fleck head is due for a rebuild. A piston, seal and spacer kit is likely ~$50 and it would be an easy DIY project.

If you're planning on monitoring and maintaining your softener system, a Hach 5B Total Hardness test kit is a must have.

Dieseldoc

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! The fleck does have a ball bypass valve. I did a piston and seals, a bribe valve and replaced the injector and brine screen. The softener works great now! I do need to get water samples done before the treatment system and after the last filter, I'm very curious what it actually happening.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect the picture shows the bypass in the "in service" position with the blue showing. I am not sure.

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks