Kinetico Possible Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Ziggymutt

Reaction score
I have a Kinetico model 18117? (circa 1989) and I have noticed a sound coming from seems like the line from the brine tank. It seems there is some type of internal pressure leakage as I can hear water entering my aeration tank approx every 5 minutes which also seems to coincide with my submersible pump coming on/ off. The softener is working as salt is still being consumed, but I started to disassemble the head yesterday as the water disc looked dirty, and I found of lot of sediment inside the head which I cleaned the best I could (see attached pic). I do have a sediment filter located downstream of my aeration tank, and before my softener, which also seems to get very dirty faster than what I am accustomed to from past experience. I have lived in the house since 1999, and have not really touched the system that much before expect to clean out the brine tank. Is it possible the "valves" in the head are now leaking due to the sediment deposits and allowing pressure to "escape" which in turn is causing my pump to come on? I have tightened up the fittings on the brine tank line, but the sound etc persists.

Attachments

• IMG_5799.JPG
    IMG_5799.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 330

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know your system, but that photo is impressive! The unit seems to have been doing a great job in the past.

I think you should consider having your Kinetico shop service that, but maybe you could clean things up yourself if you could get a manual somehow. I am not a pro.

I would get a lab water test done. It would be good to know pH , iron, and more.

Ziggymutt

Reaction score
I don't know your system, but that photo is impressive! The unit seems to have been doing a great job in the past.

I think you should consider having your Kinetico shop service that, but maybe you could clean things up yourself if you could get a manual somehow. I am not a pro.

I would get a lab water test done. It would be good to know pH , iron, and more.

I've sent an e-mail to the local Kinetico dealer and also mentioned I wanted a water test done. We'll see what they say, but my gut feeling is they will want to sell me a new system which is something I want to avoid if I can since it still seems to be working regarding the brine usage.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
With the system in the service position, disconnect the drain line. If there is water flowing to the drain, the drain seals are bad or the control disc is at fault. If no water, check your toilets for leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks