Kinetico Model 60 Salt taste in house water

Users who are viewing this thread

BNDAZ

Reaction score
I have a kinetico model 60 from about 98, ive had it a couple years( i go it free form someone moving out of a house). 6 months ago it wasn't cycling correctly and i discovered stripped gears in the head. It was rebuilt bu Kinetico.
Working fine until recently when more often than not, after a cycle we are getting a dose of backwash brine through the house. Clearly its not back washing correctly.

I called Kinetico just to inquire and they immediately said it was likely the resin and i should check it to see if its mushy. Ive already checked the backwash line by blowing through it, i would say it takes the pressure of blowing up a 3/4 full balloon to push the water through it, then when it clears it clears air easily.

Ive had the head apart to check the gearing, but is there anything else i should check to see if something is clogged?
Does the position of the float in the brine tank have anything to do with not back washing correctly?
anything else i should be checking or something specific within the head i should look at?
Thanks !

Model 60 Expert

Reaction score
Kinetico Model 60:
Problem: Salty water
Check Brine Draw assembly (in salt tank) top of float cup should be raised to the first line leaving about 3/8 inch gap between Salt Adjuster Tube which should be cut between D and J http://www.bluefountainwater.com/Step_4-1.jpg

Is there a pre-filter installed?
If no pre-filter debris, sand, glue, iron flakes, pebbles could be plugging the backwash button and or upper distributer screens. (see image) (backwash button lower right of yellow circle)
Is there adequate water pressure during the entire backwash cycle?
Is the 1/2 inch backwash line more than 15 ft long?

Last edited:

BNDAZ

Reaction score
Hadn't had a real salt spike in a while, but got one the other day. But now i also suspect that one tank resin is almost not working at all. So its time to rebed the tanks.
I just spoke with a local kinetico tech guy. He said this model 60 take .4 cubic foot of standard mesh resin (per tank) and i think i should replace the distributor tubes while im at it.
So, my questions are these:
What standard mesh resin should i use, and where can i get distributor tubes for less than 40 buck each.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The K60 uses .7 CF per tank not .4. I have a spec sheet showing the amount of resin required per tank. Send me an email & I will send you the manual. You can get the resin & distributor tubes at a lot of different places.

Reach4

Reaction score
Purolite is the top name, and C-100E an 8% crosslinked resin that others compare themselves to. Made in USA. I think Aldex C800 is a quality similar resin made in Canada by a long time producer. If you have chlorinated water, you might want to spring for a 10% crosslinked resin.

SST-60 is a premium resin from Purolite that can get a little more softening from a given amount of salt.

There are generics from China and India.

BNDAZ

Reaction score
The K60 uses .7 CF per tank not .4. I have a spec sheet showing the amount of resin required per tank. Send me an email & I will send you the manual. You can get the resin & distributor tubes at a lot of different places.
Great information thanks, i will send you an email shortly. ive done a cursory search for the resin and distributor tubes do you have a favorite vendors? Are the distributor tubes "standard" and not proprietary to kinetico? ( i just cur them to the length i need?

Purolite is the top name, and C-100E an 8% crosslinked resin that others compare themselves to. Made in USA. I think Aldex C800 is a quality similar resin made in Canada by a long time producer. If you have chlorinated water, you might want to spring for a 10% crosslinked resin.

SST-60 is a premium resin from Purolite that can get a little more softening from a given amount of salt.

There are generics from China and India.
Thanks, ill go with a known quality product like the puolite or Aldex rather than the generics.

is the SST-60 a 10% crosslink?

Appreciate the information !

Reach4

Reaction score
SST 60 is for high iron. 10% cross link is to combat the effects of chlorine on resin.

SST-60 also does use less salt for a given capacity (or give a little more capacity for a given amount of salt) even without iron, but the big difference in media price can buy a lot of sodium chloride. It might make better economic sense for those using KCl however. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks