Kinetico Model 60, 1 tank now very loud during brine rinse

Users who are viewing this thread

455SJwasfun

Reaction score
Very cold winter and 20 yr old model 60 in garage stopped working for a week - was not able to manually regenerate - wd just spin with varying resistance with screwdriver. Taking the control head off found the bottom (slowest spinning) regen gear stuck and not much force got it/all of them moving again.

Think it had frozen some before I added additional insulation and heat tape - figured some crud had broken off after thaw and had been lodged (lots of iron in mid ohio)....But now we don't have same level of service from both tanks, when regenerating the tank under the control valve it is now very loud, water gushing sound (no leaks) during brine rinse and final rinse is louder too. This seems to be the tank (under control valve) that doesn't offer soft water very long. The other tank seems to regenerate normally and quality seems consistent until regen, does not do this new gushing noise. I am planning to replace the resin, meter controls were updated 13 yrs ago, assume might as well replace again during brine work.

You wise folks have any thoughts? I might be upside down with the water quality by tank, but this gushing noise is new and our soft water quality varies greatly.

455SJwasfun

Reaction score
To clarify ramble above, my primary tank under the control valve appears to have much higher flow rate to the drain (I need to confirm visually, vibration in line seems much greater) during rinse and backwash. This increased volume seems to the cause of gushing noise. The backup tank does not do this and it is softening water. The primary tank quality is not soft.

Have been manually recycling to stay on backup tank, but appears its time for a service call. The closest dealer is almost an hour away now, old dealer is gone. Thoughts on next step? I recently completed my 2nd diy honda timing belt service - this cant be as tedious as that?

455SJwasfun

Reaction score
Fixed, took apart control head and found a missing checkball in lowest level..looking around found it on the floor , it fell out during earlier 'fix'. Found no other broken bits, its working fine now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks