Kinetico 2030 Filtration Media Replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnSWA

Reaction score
Hi folks! Great Site!!!

I bought a home last year with a Kinetico 2030 system and the salt resevoir lid says to replace the media on 12/09. Yup, I'm a bit late and I need to replace the media. Has anyone done this. I'm mechanically inclined and am sure I can handle the job, I'm just not sure where to buy the media and which of the three canisters is which for media r/r.

Also the house came with a RO system, but the house was vacant for about a year and the water tasted aweful out of the system. I just bypassed the system and have been useing tap water. Am I possibly endangering the health of my family by having excessive salt in our tap water?

Obviously, I've neve owned a soft water system before and need an education. Thanks for your help!

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
You say you have "three canisters". I am guessing that two are connected to one control head--and that is a softener. I am also guesing that the third cannister has a separate control head. If that is correct the note probably refers to the third canister (media tank).

The next question is what kind of media is in the media tank. Since you have provided no information about your basic water conditions it is difficult to guess. A common media that needs replacing is calcite or calcite/corosex mix that is used to treat acid water and needs to be replenished periodically.

However there are other possiblities so you need to provide more information to get reasonble help.

Are you one city water or a well? If city water you should be able to get a water analysis from your water supplier. If a well you will probably need to have your water tested unless you can get information from the previous owner or the installer of the equipment. You might try the local Kinetico dealer to see if they installed the equipment and can provide you some information.

You also need a water analysis to answer your question about health effects of your water.

big dripper

Reaction score
Hi folks! Great Site!!!

I bought a home last year with a Kinetico 2030 system and the salt resevoir lid says to replace the media on 12/09. Yup, I'm a bit late and I need to replace the media. Has anyone done this. I'm mechanically inclined and am sure I can handle the job, I'm just not sure where to buy the media and which of the three canisters is which for media r/r.

Also the house came with a RO system, but the house was vacant for about a year and the water tasted aweful out of the system. I just bypassed the system and have been useing tap water. Am I possibly endangering the health of my family by having excessive salt in our tap water?

Obviously, I've neve owned a soft water system before and need an education. Thanks for your help!

I don't believe for a moment the "media" needs to be replaced. Can you describe more about your water? Well or city? If it tests soft, then leave it go.

ROs can go a little 'sour' if they sit for periods of time or have been used extensively. It can be advised to change the pre- and post-filters. What kind of RO is it? Kinetico?

JohnSWA

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the three canister description. Here's what I meant by the 3 canister plus salt reservoir.

swvga.jpg

The RO system doesn't say Kinetico anywhere. Maybe I should just change the filters and give her a go. I was just curious if using a salt system with out the RO would give too high of a sodium level for basic consumption.

Also, I was just curious what type of media is required for replacement and how much.

Last edited by a moderator:

big dripper

Reaction score
The tank on the left is either a carbon filter (city water) or a acid neutralizer tank (low pH on well water). There may be other options but those are the two most common. My money would be on carbon. Are you on city water?

I wouldn't make any decisions until you know what was in the tank. Again, more info on water conditions would be helpful if not essential. Picture of the RO would help, too.

JohnSWA

Reaction score
I'm also curious how much water is supposed to be in the tube with the float. There only seems to be about 4 inches of water in the tube.

big dripper

Reaction score
4" is about right. Kinetico doesn't use a lot of water. The float stops the level of the water coming in.

JohnSWA

Reaction score
Thanks, BD! What a day! I think everything's ok with the softner system and after installing the new RO system, I'm beat! I know it's not a really big job, but like anything else... when you've done a few they've got to be easy. With this being my first time, I went over and over the directions and the plumbing was a little bit on the larger side with this system as I couldn't just do a plug in and go. I'm very happy with the installation as well as my wife and kids!

Thanks again for your help!

I'm just curious about how long you think the average life of media is in a Soft water system. This system is a little older than 3 1/2 years.

Again, BD, you're the man!

big dripper

Reaction score
With proper settings and pretreatment, that softener's resins can last for decades. There will be some attrition. Adding resins or rebedding it after twenty years may be done at a low cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks