Kilz2 Primer

Users who are viewing this thread

rcav8or

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just finished painting the bathroom in my pole barn. Primer over green board, two coats of "inexpensive" bright-white paint over that. Still has a few places that didn't cover as I'd like. But hey, it IS a pole barn!

Talked to a friend this morning, told him, he asked about the paint. I told him it was cheap, and he said "the most expensive paint is usually the cheapest!".

I consider it a lesson learned - I've always bought good quality paint, for the house (Victorian built in 1891), but thought I'd scrimp for the barn. If I hadn't used up the gallon, I would have put on another coat, now it will have to wait for the first color-change.

Roger

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It's the same famaliar story. This one of those times when paying a little more for paint will pay off. The less expensive paints will apparently fade
because of lower quality additives. And they sell a lot of that paint which has it's place.

There are organic and synthetic Titanium Dioxide colorants used from my cursory research.

Many people will paint their home interior prior to selling it. Why bother spending 28-35 bucks per gallon on Benjamin Moore paint for that purpose?

I painted a bathroom a year ago with American Traditions. It still has it's luster and looks great. It's also thick as molasses. I have no problem using it again in rooms not used very often.
For my living room den area I bought the Benjamin Moore. For me matching colors isn't an issue because I dont use same color thruout the house.

If I was painting the entire house white I might not. It's expensive to buy around here. I doubt I'd use a top of line premium paint on a barn or utility structure either.

After I ripped up the carpeting and bought my laminate flooring I realized I had to paint first. duh.

These walls haven't been properly prepped and sanded in a very long time. Correcting the sloppy work has been time consuming. 2 day project turned into 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Benjamin Moore paint report

I'm trudging through this paint job and I'm pretty impressed with the Benjamin Moore paint so far. Anybody know what the lifespan of an interior white premium paint is (primed with Kilz2)?

It appears to stay on that brush;without dripping off the walls and clean up is really fast.
No odor either. Additionally it also appears to go the distance. Finished ceiling areas and all the trim with about 1/4 gallon.

Prashster

Reaction score
I found it to not splatter as much either.

Although, I gotta confess, my switch to BM coincided with my switch to excellent quality brushes and rollers, so it's hard for me to identify what's most important.

I will say that I am EXTREMELY happy with my purdy brushes and BM paint.

One cool tip for painting around trim and ceilings: Paint the trim and ceiling b4 the walls. Before u paint the walls, tape the trim and ceiling. Use a putty knife to press it firm. Then paint the seam of the wall and the tape with the trim paint again. Any voids will seal with this skim coat. Then paint the wall. The line will come out razor sharp.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Always start at the top.
I use my big ole 12 inch mud knife for trim at top. It has a big handle. Works great. Can't tape an acoustic ceiling anyway.

Brushes and rollers are usually throw aways for me- I rarely do much painting, myself. I have some nice trim brushes however.

Prashster

Reaction score
A good brush is worth its weight in gold.
Wish I had an acoustic ceiling in my basement. I think my marriage would be in better health...;)

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Im nearly done painting and it looks incredible.
Now how much of that is due to my delusions of magnificence versus the Benjamin Moore premium paint is unclear.

As I recall the American Traditions paint last year was actually a little thicker...but this is better paint imo.
Glad I didn't use an ultra white because it would have made the acoustic look awful.

I think the premium paints are especially good for rank amateurs (like myself) because it will compensate for screwups better than cheap paint.:rolleyes:

It actually brightened up that room so much that less artificial light is now needed. amazing.

maddfrog

Reaction score
Sherwin Williams sells straight tinting base

I used 'Luminous White' to do most of the trim in my house, but they don't make that as a straight paint color anymore. They only sell it as a tinting base and they're more than happy to sell it to me by the quart or the gallon.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
maddfrog said:
I used 'Luminous White' to do most of the trim in my house, but they don't make that as a straight paint color anymore. They only sell it as a tinting base and they're more than happy to sell it to me by the quart or the gallon.

I recently read where a guy used the SW Luminous White for a home theatre wall screen BTW.
Which is something to keep in mind for when those (projection) systems come down in price enough to consider getting one.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Mike50 said:
As I recall the American Traditions paint last year was actually a little thicker...but this is better paint imo.
I don't know about that--I've found it quite watery and had poor coverage.

Mike50 said:
I think the premium paints are especially good for rank amateurs (like myself) because it will compensate for screwups better than cheap paint.:rolleyes:
Real pros use good paint. Why waste your time with cheap paint?

Jason

Prashster

Reaction score
CR latest report

CR reviewed a whole bunch of interior paints this issue. Here's the skinny:

Behr still receives the highest marks in every category except fading.
Valspar (american heritage) and Kilz also get high marks.
They're all 1/2 price of BMoore.

Bmoore only got high marks for its Regal Matte finish paint. Two downsides with it: not the smoothest finish, and costs a lot.

For semigloss and satin/eggshell, in a loc w/o too much direct sunlight, you might do well to try the Behr. I'm still a BM snob, but it's hard to argue the test results...

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
CR reviewed a whole bunch of interior paints this issue. Here's the skinny:

Behr still receives the highest marks in every category except fading.
Valspar (american heritage) and Kilz also get high marks.
They're all 1/2 price of BMoore.

Bmoore only got high marks for its Regal Matte finish paint. Two downsides with it: not the smoothest finish, and costs a lot.

For semigloss and satin/eggshell, in a loc w/o too much direct sunlight, you might do well to try the Behr. I'm still a BM snob, but it's hard to argue the test results...

Firstly, I dont have enough experience to make a recommendation.
That being said even a rank amateur like myself can easily see the difference in quality between the BM & American Traditions.

BM makes different grades. REGAL is their premium top of line.

Closer inspection of my bathroom painted with AT one year ago reveals some fading.

I just did some touchup work with both BM & AT this morning. It was in some out of view areas so I used a cheap brush.

Using this cheap brush the AT left major brush strokes.
The BM left zero brush strokes.

Kilz is the only primer I've used-it's a great product.
Yesterday I bought a can of the "Premium" used in areas prone to mildew.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks