kickspace heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

jpcarp53

Reaction score
I have installed a kickspace heater and have not (unfortunately) installed a monoflow tee. How many do I need? Can I simply reduce the pipe size between tees to half inch pipe? Will this have the same effect as a monoflow tee installed on either the supply side or the exhaust side? Thanks, Jpcarp53

Finnegan

Reaction score
If you have a monoflow system and you cut into that system and installed regular tees instead of monoflow tees, you will not get the proper performance. For each radiator (or toe kick heater) you will need two monoflow valves. They must be oriented properly and should not be placed too far apart (I forget the recommended maximum distance).

jpcarp53

Reaction score
monoflow tees

Thanks. I did install regular tees (about 5 1/2 inches apart, the same distance apart as the inlet/outlet on the kickspace heater) and the unit does not heat up enough to activate the aquastat. I will install the required tees forthwith. Thanks again for your help. jpcarp53

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tees

In most cases you only need one Mono-Flo tee if the unit is above the main, but since you only have 5 1/2" between the tees you may need two to create the proper flow resistance to force water to the heater. The flow resistance between the tees has to be at least the same as that through the heater's piping.

jpcarp53

Reaction score
monoflo tees

Thanks. I'm planning to install two tees. The heater is above the main by about 9". As a matter of practical interest only, if one were to reduce the pipe size between the tees for the kickspace heater, (since two 1/2" pipes are approximately 89% of the cross sectional area of one 3/4" pipe, which is the size of the main) would the net effect be the same as using the monoflo tees?
Just for discussions sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jpcarp53

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tees

Not exactly because a Mono-Flo tee is designed to divert the proper amount of water for that size branch, but a reducing tee might try to divert more water than the kickspace heater could accept and degrade the entire system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks