key point to changing pressure switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

lainey365

Reaction score
I need to change my pressure switch. Before I begin I would like to know any key points or specific details that would make this go easier. I know to turn off electricity to the pump but what about releasing pressure and if so how do I do that? Thanks

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
lainey365 said:
I need to change my pressure switch. Before I begin I would like to know any key points or specific details that would make this go easier. I know to turn off electricity to the pump but what about releasing pressure and if so how do I do that? Thanks

Turn off the power and run some water until it stops coming out. The pressure will drop to nearly zero.

While you are changing the switch, check the precharge pressure. When the tank is empty the pressure should be 2 psi less than the start setting you are going to put on the pressure switch.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
As BobNH stated, changing a pressure switch is a really good time to check the precharge.
If you need to, make a simple schematic of the wiring at the switch. You'll need to rewire exactly as the other switch was wired.
Ron

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably want to make sure you wire it back together right and also shut the main valve to the house off once you are done draining down the system. If you dont,all the water in the plumbing will want to drain out of the hole where the pressure switch nipple threads into.

SAM

lainey365

Reaction score
Adjusting pressure

BobNH stated, "2 psi less than the start setting you are going to put on the pressure switch."

What does this mean and how do I put it on the switch? I used the exact replacement part which is a Square D Pumptrol Pressure Switch w/ Pulsation Plug Interruptor. There is a spring with a nut so I am assuming that is a way of adjusting something.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. This site has helped me alot with this problematic pump.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally, you buy a switch preadjusted for your desired operating range; 20-40, 30-50...etc. They are adjustable, so you can change that, but normally you don't need to.

If you have a 20-40 switch, the tank precharge should be set at 18-pounds, and so forth; you don't change the switch unless you need to.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
You dont want a 20/40 cycle. Adjust that switch by turning the nut on the larger spring clockwise. After turning that nut clockwise a few tiimes push down on the plate that the large spring sits on and that will activate your pump. The pressure will rise and and the pump will shut off. Keep repeating this until you have reached 60 psi or until the pump cant build anymore pressure but dont go over 60 psi. Once you have done that you will be able to determine what you pump will turn on at by running some water. If you adjusted the pressure to 60 psi your pump should turn on at 40 psi.In the tank your air pressure should be 2 lbs lower than the turn on pressure of your pump. To add air to your tank you will have to shut the power to the pump and drain the system like you did to change the pressure switch. Once the system is drained put a tire gauge on the snifter valve on your tank and get a reading. If it needs air get a compressor and add it. Once you are at the correct pressure (2lbs. below the turn on of the pump) turn the power back on,wait for the pump to shit off,and then run some water to cycle the system.

SAM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks