BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
train wreck of advice

toilet-wrecked.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Preslope implies a liner then another mudbed...so, and I understand the answer as I expect you do too, technically, it is not a preslope, but all liners need to be on a sloped bed. So, taking things out of context is very misleading. What those supposed pros were doing does not adhere to any TCNA or manufacturer's guidelines, but is one reason why the TCNA says 75% of the tiled showers built are built incorrectly. If they waterproofed the seams, it would not leak, but it would perform poorly, have no warranty, and be a disappointment for the owner. It's tricky, but possible to waterproof the clamping drain seal, but that has not been the recommended way since the introduction of the Kerdi drain in 2001 - the new (well, nearly 14-years 'new') way is much easier than the old one, and a lot more flexible. There is a readily available conversion drain if you already have a clamping drain installed.

Maybe they should read the instructions, or watch the video, or get some training. I can see no reason to throw RedGard into a typical Kerdi shower install.

John has a new mission in life, discredit anything on any other website he can no longer directly influence by posting there, and to paint a bad taste in anything produced by Schluter. A man with a mission...a man with a chip on his shoulder.

DougB

Reaction score
"have no warranty"

I can't believe anyone has EVER been paid for a warranty claim. Used wrong thinset, didn't overlap enough, the laboratory said...........

It cleary states on page 196 of the warranty disclaimier: This warranty shall be null and void unless the original installer wore a tin foil hat while building the entire bathroom.

Justadrip

Reaction score
Bet its never happened and never will. The onus will always be put on the installer never the products.
The most I have seen is a company throw a few bags of this and a few rolls of that when something happens.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Bet its never happened and never will. The onus will always be put on the installer never the products.
The most I have seen is a company throw a few bags of this and a few rolls of that when something happens.

Protect the corporation at all cost . This is where the corporations gets ground over personal rights . Easy job to convince the installer to accept some '' payment '' -- some products with no real value other than monetary --and do the repair without any -- paperless -- trace or records on the corporation's database. The result is disastrous for the tile mechanic which has no more say -- just a controlled tool in the tile industry -- .

IN OTHER WORDS -- IOW -- the responsible party is the installer , which takes the blame -- acceptance of responsibility -- . The manufacturer -- corporation -- saves face and can claim '' installer error '' everywhere , '' this is the first time '' , '' never happened before '' , or any derivatives of it .

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I'm not sure how many times I have looked but it has been at least a dozen times. And not once have I found any reference to any company coming in and re-doing a job. I have found so many examples of installer errors. One installer I chatted with even called the TCNA recommended Tile Export. Hi was told something like he here's dozens of calls like this and they always turn out to be installer error.

If these products never fail and never does a supplier step in and make it right. What is the concern about warranties in the first place.

Does anyone know of any company that has redone a shower because their product failed?

Easy way out -- mfg warranty -- , when the outcome -- responsibility -- is already known -- 90% or more -- installer error .

Warranty doesn't necessary translate into responsibility . It is easier to make work a product -- itself -- in a controlled lab test then into a construction assembly , where everything else is bound to each other and is expected to work in harmony .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Here we have 2 membranes, and 2 thinsets from a total of 4 different company's all working together for one common goal, None of them like the company they represent because of all the rules placed upon them, limiting their ability to work in the field with their peers.......They simply feel they can reach across bi-partisan lines to get the job done, Blue, green, red, orange.

The tile MFG industry is becoming bi-partisan, and seemingly operating like a big gov't corporate machine, starting wars in far off internet places, just like the gov't..... Jim against John, they have us busy fighting with each other while they pull more wool over our eyes, offering non-existant warrantys "Dreams".........It all a big plan......

JIM: Eat your orange heart out. Thats modified there under the orange peels.........add CBU and that means we have 5 MFG wrrty. "Dream" voids in this train wreck...

photo.jpg

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
Being just a 'handy' engineer - I realized that the challange was getting the shower pan and drain correct. I know I'm a rookie, so I purchased ready made shower niches and shower pans for the two bathrooms I've remodeled in my home. I used Tile Redi - not cheap - a $500 shower pan - but all you have to do is set it in mortar. Very sturdy, all nicely sloped to the drain, recessed on the sides with a lip for 1/2" cement board.

I know you pro's can do it for much less, and all sorts of shapes - but I advise rookies (like myself) to consider a preformed pan.

Last edited:

DougB

Reaction score
I'll see if I have pictures.

The pan has a 2" pvc drain stub bonded to it. They also threw in some flashing that goes behind the cement board, and over the lip of the pan - to ensure no water where the cement board and the pan meet. You do have to use expoy mortar on the pan - and they don't give you enough - for the price they should give you more.

It took 1 hour to set the pan - most of the time was spent mixing the mortar.

Considering that the drain is built in (as well as the curb and it'is pitched in a couple of degrees), and it's not going to leak, is a good solution for a DIY'er. I don't know if it the time saving aspect out weights the cost (for a pro).

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Not a very good picture of the Tile Redi pan - but you can see the curb - at the bottom

View attachment 24881

Doug, That is lookin very good, did you do all the tiling and everything yourself???

I may need you to drop the multimeter and come build some showers for me !!!!......I find in Minneapolis people are willing to pay on average $35 an hour!! for this skillset ( what a joke ) so I cant pay you much, some days it surely may be harder work and less pay than your trade, but I wont ask you to pull any home runs !!!!!!!!!!!

Why dont you head over to the "Educating the budget client on Tile shower pricing" thread and tell us how much this shower project has cost you, what was involved, material choices and why? ballpark it and figure in your labor/materials and say you make around $35/hr when your tiling????

Im thinking A Minneapolis area project like this with some of the materials youve mentioned and skilled labor you may have A $7-10K shower on your hands????

DougB

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment!

Both my grandfathers were good with their hands - and I just inherited the skill from them. Years ago I did woodworking - but I found working on my home more rewarding. I've remodeled the homes we have lived in (the past 35 years).

I'll post some more photos tonight - with pricing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks