Kerdi Membrane VS Mapei Aqua Defense

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Footman_75, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Footman_75

Footman_75 Renovating

Hi all,

I am in the process of installing waterproofing system for a shower wall.

I know this is a plumbing forum, and my question is more for tiling professionals, but I appreciate the level of expertise here, and hope there are a few people out there with some experience on the following products:

1) Kerdi Membrane
    2) Mapei Aqua Defense

Item 1) makes sense to me, but I'm told it requires unmodified mortar, which doesn't make much sense. Using a mortar which offers no plasticity seems like a great way to have your shower membrane sheer off from your backerboard.
    Item 2) offers serious plasticity, and my tile suppliers use it on their jobs and recommended that I use it. I'm leaning in this direction, but the idea of just painting on a waterproofing system, well, I'd like to hear from more people who have used the product, for better or for worse.

Thanks in advance,
    Foot
  2. BillTheEngineer

BillTheEngineer Member

3. Footman_75

Footman_75 Renovating

Thank you!
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The fleece on the Kerdi membrane gives it a microscopic amount of flexibility in shear. Under any normal circumstances, you'd likely crack the tile or wall before you sheared off the membrane when properly installed.
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014