Kerdi board

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by kcchiu, Jun 26, 2010.

1. kcchiu

kcchiu New Member

Greeting,

Does anyone know where to buy Kerdi Board ?

Thank you
    KC
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

This is relatively new product (the preapplied Kerdi, not the membrane itself). The best thing would be to call Schluter directly and ask.
  3. John Bridge

John Bridge Mudmeister

Kerdi-board is now available in most major population areas at tile distributors and dealers. You won't find it at Home Depot or Lowes. :)
  4. jadnashua

I had heard of the stuff (I've used Kerdi before, but the Kerdiboard is new) and did some investigation. It's a structural extruded foam panel with Kerdi applied on both sides (well, it is not exactly like the sheet goods - fleece, reinforced waterproof sheet, foam, with the same on the other side; Kerdi has fleece on both sides of the sheet). One side has a grid on it at 3/8" squares to help you cut it in a straight line. It comes in sheets in various thicknesses from 3/16" up to 2" thick and in various widths and lengths up to 96" long. You can use it in place of CBU on the walls, or as in structural panels for things like a vanity, tub deck, shower seat, etc. that you will be tiling. They also have preformed corner boxes and U-shaped ones for things like pipe covers or chases. There's even a sheet that is designed to bend to make curves. The 2" stuff is sturdy enough to make a tub deck out of and they have various trim pieces for the edges in SS if you want, or other finishes , or you can tile it. Neat stuff. You can cut it with a sharp utility knife (although the 2" stuff might be tougher!). Check out www.schluter.com for more info.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Q: How do I anchor the Kerdi Board to the mud wall?

Found this answer online today. Talk about an epic fail of a response...

"Thinset, kerdi fix, sikaflex or (my personal choice) PL Premium. Make goobers every 8 inches or closer on center and, using a 4 foot level as a straight edge and level, press the board into the goobers making the board perfectly plumb and flat.

Then kerdi band the seams, and caulk (sikaflex, kerdi fix) to the tub itself." - Source

Why is this an epic fail of an answer? So many reasons. For one PL Premium expands while it cures. For two the poster offered up not way of stopping this. And for three if you saw the original post in the discussion the wall currently looks like this.

[​IMG]
    My Thoughts on This:

The fellow who offered up this advice is one of the forums busiest posters. Another huge promoter online of everything Kerdi.

What an Epic Fail of advice. Before following this train wreck email Schluter and ask if that is the right way : info@schluter.com

There is the email address above. If you want Schluter's head technical rep email Dale at DKempster@schluter.com

Had I written this advice online here on Terry's forum our local Kerdi salesman would have attack me for not following manufactures protocol. Our local expert likes to sign the praises of following every printed rule. makes me wonder why he does not do the same on the other forum. So Sad. So Odd.

Dots of PL expanding. Flexing backer board. poor substrate to bond too. And not one tile pro speaking up to say that the advice hailing from Houston was an epic fail....

A better approach:

A smarter approach would be to drop the old mud wall. Inspect for damage and bugs. Repair and replace missing insulation. Bring vapour proofing systems up to local code.

Then re board. Kerdi Board is one of the worst shower building products I have tested and used. So flimsily. A better approach to the kerdi system would be cement backer board then Kerdi.

A better system all together would see the use of a less restrictive waterproofing system all together. Noble Company, Laticrete, Mapei, Custom all make alternatives to kerdi that are less restrictive in thin-set selection.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. johnfrwhipple

Kerdi Board - Practical Uses

[​IMG]

Here is a practical use for Kerdi Board. Not used as a backer board. Not used as a water proofing system, but rather as scrap material to prevent a self levelling pour from hitting the water supply lines.

I will never tile over Kerdi Board, nor would I trust it on a shower build of mine.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  7. johnfrwhipple

Another good use for Kerdi

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. jadnashua

It appears the the recommended joint has you using Kerdi-band on the seam. If the goal is to avoid that, then Kerdi-fix should work. My guess is that when cutting, you may debond the edge slightly, and getting a good Kerdi-fix joint may not be as easy as you might think. If using Kerdi-band, I can't see it ever being a problem. Now, adding the Kerdi-fix to an unsupported joint would structurally improve the joint by bonding the two sheet edges together better rather than just gluing on (via the thinset) a band at the top layer where flex at the joint might debond the Kerdi sheet from the foam core. This normally wouldn't be a problem once the tile was up, unless the grout joint happened to align with the board seam.

The cut-sheet with installation and other info for Kerdi-board is linked here: http://www.schluterkerdiboard.com/media/KERDI-BOARD-Cutsheet.pdf

The only time they call for Kerdi-Fix is when the joining point or edge won't accept thinset to make a seal (such as to a tub edge or say a windowsill). Otherwise, you butt the edges together, then cover with Kerdi-band, as you would for using the membrane. As long as you get at least a 2" overlap of the Kerdi materials, the seam will be waterproof. WHen using the panels on studs, say in a shower wall, you need to waterproof the fasteners - Kerdi-band is the recommended method. You need fasteners into studs at a maximum of 12" intervals and either 1/2" panels on 16-studwalls, or 3/4" on larger (up to 24") studwalls. Pipe penetrations could either be made with their special Kerdi pieces, or Kerdi-fix. The pre-made corners could be used there, or you can make your own, as you used to do before they made the corners.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  9. johnfrwhipple

Kerdi Board - Poor Installation Video

From one of TV's top Home Guru's a lesson on installing Kerdi Board.

What you can not see is how poorly the Kerdi Board was installed.

From improper framing.

Missing Fastners.

No Kerdi Board to tub seal.

This is a TV version of fast construction.

A joke of a video and more a three minute sales add. My favourite was that Scott's guy installed the first piece backwards and then raved about the grid lines.... Train Wreck.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. johnfrwhipple

Kerdi Board testing in Vancouver

Posts removed by John Whipple
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  11. johnfrwhipple

12. jadnashua

I thought I remembered the instruction manual saying 1/2" minimum panels on a bare studwall. The thinner sheets are designed as a skin for existing flat panels. If the seams are covered with Kerdi material or Kerdifix, the fact that the foam absorbs water is immaterial, since none should ever get there. Same idea as their preformed pan or curb...cover it properly with Kerdi, and it's stable and waterproof. I'm surprised they didn't call you back. Maybe they tried, but no one was home at the time.
  13. johnfrwhipple

Kerdi Board under Nu Heat wires ???

14. johnfrwhipple

Answers from Schluter USA - can Kerdi Board be used on floors? With heating?

15. pavels

pavels New Member

16. johnfrwhipple

Kerdi Board. Kerdi. Kerdi DS

17. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

The pictures sure look odd. It looks like there is some sort of paper product and I'm seeing what looks like drywall compound. Do you think there was Kerdi Board there?
  18. johnfrwhipple

There is not Kerdi on Kerdi Board

19. johnfrwhipple

They use a paper like product to make Kerdi Board

20. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

For anyone trying to keep up, John (W), doesn't like Kerdi.

He likes some random backerboard (friends with owner/distributor?) called Greeney Board, he like Hilti, and he hates Jim.