Kenmore water softener error code 3.....help!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

frekals

Reaction score
I have a Kenmore UltraSoft 480 water softener, model number 635-388480. I am getting an error code, error 3, on the screen. I have tried using the manual and troubleshooting myself. I have gotten up to recharging it. It did not go into the fill cycle. It said backwash which the manual tries to explain but I get a bit lost at that point. I never say water flow into the brinewell. It then kept making a loud running water sound. I unplugged it and the sound continued. I plugged it back in and it started to recharge again but had no remaining time on it. It then said fill but still no water was running into the brinewell. I left it alone and when I returned it had error 3 on it again. Today I unplugged it again and plugged it back in and after a few minutes it started making that loud running water sound and got stuck there. I called Kenmore and he told me to push in the bypass thing. He said to replace these things in this order. First, the switch, then the wire harness, then the control panel. Sears said I can not return parts if they are not the right ones so I would like to know what is wrong before I replace it myself. The softener did not cost that much to pay the ridiculous fees that they will charge me to come out and then fix it. I try to do everything myself if I can. I was advised by the parts department to come to this site and have someone help me diagnose the problem before I buy the parts.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are You sure about your model number ?

If it is a 625-388480, then it may be the Valve Motor binding when trying to change modes.

I would try to clean the valve, Nozzle and venturi, before throwing parts at it.

Good Luck on your project.

DonL

frekals

Reaction score
OK...after reading some other blogs I figured I would try switching out the switch first. I will be picking this part up today. I already took the old switch out and know that this is one of the problems for sure. One prong on the switch appears to be burnt out. The other is partially gold. I am now wondering if I should purchase the wire harness that plugs into the switch to be safe? How did the switch get fried like this? Would this have caused any damage to the wire harness (wiring going to the switch)?

Also what would cause the switch to go bad like this? Was there something else that caused the switch to get fried like this?

Last edited:

Vinh Thai

Reaction score
Did replacing the switch fix your problem? I'm experiencing the same exact problem with my Kenmore 425. It's making the loud running water sound too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks