Kenmore Water Softener - Discharging via Overflow Line

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by pgdaboys, Jan 10, 2010.

1. pgdaboys

pgdaboys New Member

I have a Kenmore Deluxe Demand Water Softener that is approximately 12 years old. Lately, I've noticed that while the master bathtub is being filled, the water softener discharges water to the overflow drain. I don't know if this has just started occurring or perhaps I just never noticed before... at any rate, can anyone tell me if this normal or is it indicative of a problem that needs to be corrected? Thanks!
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

No, that ain't normal and indicates a problem in the valve head.
  3. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Or a crack in the media tank.

Seen one do that about a year ago.
  4. pgdaboys

pgdaboys New Member

Thanks guys - I was afraid you'd say that! I guess that gives me another project :)
  5. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Let us and the others know what you find out as to where the leak is at.
  6. Skip Wolverton

Skip Wolverton In the Trades

The drain seal inside the valve is springed assisted. I've seen the stick and run to the drain. If it is weak, maybe the flow to the tub allows the drain seal to open. Just a thought.