Kenmore Ultrasoft 425 Err3 Code

Users who are viewing this thread

Nala81399

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old Kenmore Ultrasoft 425 water softener that just recently has stopped working and displayes error code Err3. I have gone through some of the troubleshooting diagnostics in the manual with out success. I think I have narrowed it down to the valve position being the problem but am unsure of what could cause it... The switch or the actual PWA. I can see the switch indicator opening and closing as the valve rotates however the valve position indication always reads Serv. I never see it toggle between the other modes (Fill, Brine, Bkwash & Rinse). Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
So if the motor is turning, and that metal wheel is turning, but no changes to the read out? Then I would say that the control board is bad.

Yaohoo

Reaction score
I have a Kenmore Ultrasoft 480 water softener suffering the same issue as OP (except this unit is now 15.5 years old). I replaced the rotor switch because it was not closing (tested with meter), and the new unit tested fine w/volt meter for open/close circuit.

The only difference is that the old part has a little white button. The new part has a metal arm that helps to depress the button.
Does that matter? (if PWA board determines how long the circuit is open then the arm could affect the outcome) If so I will take out the arm.

Update: The difference of the arm does make a difference, basically it throws off the timer on when the locks are engaged. I was able to manually trick the controller to go into a different stage by manually click in the switch when the hole is available.
After removing the arm this switch's button doesn't engage and tried tape/filler on not and is not reliable. Going to get the exact part 7145186 and see.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Fleck or Clack based system would be a much better choice. The wifi connectivity is more annoying than useful. It is a neat feature but most people do not want an item that really only needs to be looked at every 6 month to a year notifying them on their phone... it should be more like a toaster. Total ignore item other than add salt every so often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks