Kenmore Ultrasoft 425 Err3 Code

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Nala81399, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Nala81399

Nala81399 New Member

I have a 4 year old Kenmore Ultrasoft 425 water softener that just recently has stopped working and displayes error code Err3. I have gone through some of the troubleshooting diagnostics in the manual with out success. I think I have narrowed it down to the valve position being the problem but am unsure of what could cause it... The switch or the actual PWA. I can see the switch indicator opening and closing as the valve rotates however the valve position indication always reads Serv. I never see it toggle between the other modes (Fill, Brine, Bkwash & Rinse). Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Skip Wolverton

Skip Wolverton In the Trades

When the micro switch opens and closes and you see it on the PWA, the switch and wire are good. If the PWA does not show the valve changing cycles, the PWA is bad.
  3. Nala81399

Nala81399 New Member

Thank you for the response!
  4. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Is the motor bad?
  5. Skip Wolverton

Skip Wolverton In the Trades

I didn't think the motor was bad because the OP stated he can see the micro switch open and close.
  6. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

So if the motor is turning, and that metal wheel is turning, but no changes to the read out? Then I would say that the control board is bad.
  7. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Or there is a wire connector not making good contact on either end of it, or more than one wire.
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Is that model Kenmore made by GE ?