Kenmore Power Miser 12 gas WH won't reach rated temperatures

Users who are viewing this thread

Rock51

Reaction score
My Kenmore Power Miser 12 gas WH won't reach the rated temperatures at the various settings on the thermostat. At "B" setting, the hot water is supposed to be 140F. It was actually 115F yesterday. At Very Hot, it hits 138F, not 160F. (I would never purposely set hot water temp at 160F. Only 140F or lower.). This problem has been building over time. I am talking about the temp of the water when I first turn on the tap after the heater has fully charged the tank and the burner is off. If I cannot get the proper temp, even when the tank is fully charged and the water has just been turned on, isn't this due to a gas control valve/thermostat problem? There's no mixing valve. Thyks.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The temperature will be different depending on where your taking the temperature readings from. The further from the heater the cooler the temperature.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Thermostats are notoriously inaccurate, which is why they use letters which could mean anything, rather than numbers. All the letters tell you is that if "B" gives you the water temperature you like then reset it at "B" any time it has to be moved. If it has to be hotter then use "A" or "C" depending on which way your dial rotates, and vice versa if it is too hot at "B".

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks