Kenmore disposal problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Whiznot, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Whiznot

Whiznot New Member

My disposal model 175 60505 is not working. Please help if you can.

For a few weeks the disposal had been making a louder-than-usual noise after a spoon was accidentally left in it. The unit never got clogged or stuck and continued to function. Yesterday when I tried to run it the unit made a sound but failed to spin. I used a 1/4 inch allen wrench and was able to move the flywheel back and forth. After using the allen wrench, the unit worked for a few seconds and I switched it off. When I switched the unit on again it failed to work but made a sound. I again used the allen wrench and found that the flywheel would turn freely but the unit would only hum when turned on.

Is it likely that my disposal is kaput or is there anything else that I should try? Thanks.
  2. jm66208

jm66208 Member

Don't hear too many success stories about disposer repair. Pretty much a "disposerable" item. :rolleyes: Spoon could have bent something causing the unit to seize.
    For a replacement, I like the insinkerator compact pro from a plumbing supply house (now the pro 750) . Lowes & HD carry them now, but I hear rumors that the supply house units are better. :rolleyes:
    Better warranty from the supply house units anyway. YMMV
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The warranty is by ISE, so if you have the same model the warranty will be the same, although it may be academic, since I have never had any ISE disposer fail or need "warranty work" while it was under warranty. There may be a "serviceable" reason why your disposer is not working properly, but I would have to be there to test it. The "grinder plate" rotating is not always an indication that it is not struck or jammed.