Katalox media plugged

Users who are viewing this thread

Gale Williams

Reaction score
I have an apartment complex with 8 small 1 bdrm units. For the last 20 years I have used an ozone injection system to sterilize my well water. I have a recirculation pump which draws water from a 1000 gallon holding tank and has ozone injected into the water as it passes through a venturi. The system uses about 1000 gallons of water a day.
Last August I installed a 12x52 Katalox tank into the system that treats the water after it is ozonized . I did this to remove the iron and manganese in the water. The water has 0.03 mg/L iron and 0.036 mg/L Mn.
I have been back washing the Katalox every three days at 10 gpm for 15 minutes. This seemed about right when I did the calculations. I add nothing to the back wash.
Last week I discovered the the tank is totally plugged.
Am I not back washing enough, is the ozone fouling the Katalox or is it something else?
Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
I
Last August I installed a 12x52 Katalox tank into the system that treats the water after it is ozonized . I did this to remove the iron and manganese in the water. The water has 0.03 mg/L iron and 0.036 mg/L Mn.
I presume this is Katalox Light. This is my reading of the graph for 12 inches.

Totally plugged does not sound right to me, even if your backwashing is a little low. I presume you are sure the bypass valves are set right, and that water flows freely when in bypass.

I have no related experience.

I am curious; are those Mn and Fe numbers for your raw water, or after some treatment?

Attachments

• img_kl12.png
    img_kl12.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,860
Last edited:

Gale Williams

Reaction score
I presume this is Katalox Light. This is my reading of the graph for 12 inches.

Totally plugged does not sound right to me, even if your backwashing is a little low. I presume you are sure the bypass valves are set right, and that water flows freely when in bypass.

I have no related experience.

I am curious; are those Mn and Fe numbers for your raw water, or after some treatment?

Gale Williams

Reaction score
The water flows freely when in bypass.
I had never checked the water straight from the well before, as I planned on treating the water after the ozone. I did that today and the results were the same for the iron, although I can't tell the difference between ferrous and ferric.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks