Katalox Light.

Users who are viewing this thread

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Hello to all, I was looking at new posts and seen the one on Katalox-light and wanted to know more?I also have have the same set-up with a holding tank (low yielding well) ok my main concern, can I use this media with a fleck 7000 and 10x54 tank and just backwash once and a while,just water or modify a regenerate feed?with instant oxides and were can this be purchased?This unit was originally set for carbon and ain"t sure the distributors screen size is this mesh size?link info reads us=14x30? and what about gravel,ok operating conditions= PH 5.8-10.5 I'am good there.any ways just looking for some more info? Hardness 12grms< Ph 7.34 Iron <0.0100 Manganese 0.236.Thanks to all!!!!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Katalox-light is one of the best medias we have tested recently. It is commonly sold as an Air Injected system, but I prefer to use a simple brine tank/chlorine regenerant. I would recommend a 30:1 ratio of chlorine and water. Regenerate it once a week with about 1 gallon of this solution, and you should be good to go. It is easily adjusted for stronger solutions (not usually necessary), or for more frequent backwashes.

My only concern with Katalox Light is the recommended backwash rates. Like so many medias, I feel it is "best condition" rated. I usually recommend going from the recommended 10 GPM per Sq. Ft. up to 12-15 GPM per Sq. ft. of bed area. This is staill reasonable especially compared to other medias on the market that perform similarly, they need 25-35 GPM per Sq. Ft. of bed area.

The 7000 is a perfect valve for this application, depending on the water temperature, I would recommend a 7 GPM backwash rate. PM me if you want more detailed information.

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Thank you Ditto,Ok this 7000 is a filter-head,so I guess a in-line injector is needed?I had one before so I think I can do it?Trying to learn the lingo?If I had a 10x54 tank 2cuft will 1 and half cubit media give 25-35 freeboard?and 7grm backwash rate is the size of the injector coming from this 7000 right?what about placement before Atmospheric holding tank or after,If before?can s solenoid get wired into this head to close when my timer starts well pump,I have this set-up working on my fleck-5600enom now with Ionac c-249,no luck.Thanks again.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The 7000 filter valve can be converted to a softener style of valve , but is tdoes take several parts. Air injection ahead of the system would be ideal. The 10x54 is rated for 1.5 Cu. Ft. of media. The 7 GPM DLFC button is inside the 90 degree drain line connection that is easily removed and inspected by removing the grey clip on the valve and lifting the fitting off of the valve. The backwash 7000 does not have an injector assembly. A solenoid can be wired into the 7000, it has a spot for a standard micro-switch on the powerhead that is easily added. A microswitch and 2 screws is all that is needed.

Can you give us some more specifics on your well water. A standard softeenr should have worked just fine if it was set up correctly.

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
old, and set with 10 lbs salt, and regenerates after 60gals. Hardness <12grains, Copper<2.06mg/l, PH<7.34, No Iron, but has Manganese <0.236mg/l limit is 0.05.

My main question is:
If softened water is exposed to the atmosphere (in the Cistern) for a long enough time till used… will any media, such as Ionacc-249 ever work, without using water like a point-of-entry System? (My thought is that once equilibrium is changed from softened water, back into stagnant water… that the reaction and precipitation will resume). But maybe it doesn't matter how many filters one might have, I just may be defeating the purpose, as water is reintroduced with the oxygen. Am I correct on this way of thinking? Anyway might use a filter and a softener?I will reply after doing more homework,ditto head do you sell microswitches?I'll try pm you later in the week.Thanks.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Softenerd water has the calcium and magnesium removed from the it, and it is replaced with sodium. Unless you reintroduce calcium and magnesium to the water, it does not matter how long it is stored. Same goes for the manganese, if it is removed by the softener, the water will remain manganese free unless you reintroduce it back in to the water.

Do you have a proper test kit for testing the systems perfromance? If you are going the DIY route, you should at invest in a few standard test kits.

TruckkerJoe

Reaction score
Hello,I thinking about changing my 5600ECM head with the 7000,but not sure if the micro switch I have on this 5600 will work or do I need to get Item # 2 (part#) 10218 Power Head Assembly OR are they the same one? Pic#1=5600 old switch.Pic#2=7000 2small holes?Anyway if they are the same does it get wired the same way?and if not can somebody send a link and brief instructions as to wire it-up?The purpose for it is to run a 2 solenoids,

0119141323-2.jpg0119141325-2.jpg

ditttohead

Reaction score
It is basically the same. The 7000 brine cam has a microswitch cam on it as well that is rarely used but easily done. You can remove the microswitch from the 5600 and use it on the 7000. Your picture shows the microswitch cam and holes perfectly.

putz

Reaction score
Hey all, I have an existing (0lder) greensand filter system. I'm pretty sure the media is shot and needs to be replaced, but instead of just putting in new greensand I'm thinking I should convert it to a Katalox Light system. I want to ensure that Katalox Light makes sense, my media tank is the right size (or change it out) then get my Fleck 5600 set to correctly backwash the system.
Water analysis:
pH: 7.4
iron: 0.5 mg/L
Manganese: 0.5 mg/L
hardness: 20 gpg
TDS: 448 mg/L
ORP: 261 mV

My well flow rate is 11.8 gpm and the media tank is an 8x44 (if I'm measuring it right).

There are some online calculators out there but I'm not sure if they're giving me the right answers. Any help or direction I could get for any portion of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ditttohead

Reaction score
I would normally say your tank is too small, but considering the very low levels of iron/manganese you are treating, you should do just fine. KL is a direct replacement for greensand or greensand plus.

putz

Reaction score
Well, if I'm gonna dump the tank contents a new one is ~$150? I'd rather make it right, it will be there for a while. Especially since I can reuse the controller. What would you suggest if it was a new system?

Thanks again, dittohead.

montelatici

Reaction score
Not sure if your wells in northern Maryland are like ours in southern Maryland, but we have a problematic well with a lot of red clay sediment and iron and the Katalox filter used as a sediment and iron filter upstream of my softener has allowed me to kick the can on drilling a new well. I am getting pretty good water now.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The 5600 has a backwash limit of 6-7 gpm for backwashing. Your water temperature would have a role in how large of a tank it could handle with that media. If your water temperature is below 55 degrees, you can probably go to a 9" tank without any problem. I tend to run the backwash of Katalox light on the high side of 15 gpm per ft2. It might be better to consider a valve with higher backwash capabilities if you are going to increase the tank size.

Sacramento

Reaction score
Hello guys, awesome thread. I'm a newbie to well water and hoping to get some help on converting NELSEN SCALE PREVENTION SYSTEM (MODEL NSPS-1252-RES) to an Iron, manganese filter. My plan was to use the existing control Valve (WS1TC Clack) and tank 12"x52" and replace the softening media with Katalox Light. Could the existing Clack valve be used for Katalox Light media? Does the valve need "air injection" capabilities? I'm trying to save lots of money by reusing the existing equipment thus saving my grandparents much needed money.

Thanks for all you time.

Water Stats:
Iron 0.19 ppm
Manganese 0.32ppm
Hardness 22 gpg
Ph 7.78

I have the rotten egg smell and black slime in toilet bowls.

_John_

Reaction score
We have a lot of submersible wells that run downhole bleeders with pressure tanks with AVC's and KL systems work excellently on that setup with no air injection.

We have had to add some "help" on a couple higher H2S situations (both setup where the pressure tank was a bladder type and thus no air added to the water) where we had just installed Filox/MangOx (ducks for cover, but the stuff works) in the past. For just iron, KL is SO worth it.

That Clack valve will work fine with KL. We install 10 gpm DLFC's on 12"x52" systems.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A few questions in advance:

The black slime, is it actually slimey or does it appear that way but if touched, is actually hard & not slimey?

Since it is a well, has a comprehensive water analysis been performed? Please post all test results.

How deep is the well, casing size and static water level?

Has the pump's constant output been tested? KL will require considerably higher flow for backwashing than that required for backwashing softener resin. The backwash rate is influenced by tank size. A 12" tank may require more flow than your pump and well are capable in delivering.

If the above settup is your Grandparents existing softener, what are they planning to replace it with? At 22 gpg, they will need a softener. For a softener, a metered control would be more efficient than a time clock control.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a pro. I have done some study, but I can readily be wrong. With a 12x52 tank, to get a desired 15 gpm/sqft of backwash, the backwash rate would need to be 12 GPM. You would put 2.5 cuft of media into your tank giving a 40 inch bed depth. Maybe 2.0 cuft would be sufficient. 2.5 cuft should give about 7 GPM of service flow, but running over that would give just some leakage... My calculations may be wrong, but they might be useful as a starting point.

Regarding air injection, I think that depends on dissolved oxygen. I suspect your dissolved oxygen would be OK. Do you want chemical injection during backwash? I suspect so.

Sacramento

Reaction score
Wow! You guys are awesome, thanks for the quick response!
The black slime, is it actually slimy or does it appear that way but if touched, is actually hard & not slimey?
-- I misspoke, they black material in toilet bowl is actually NOT slimy but more of a layer of something that sticks to everything.
Since it is a well, has a comprehensive water analysis been performed? Please post all test results.
-- See the attached photo.
IMG_5523.JPG

How deep is the well, casing size and static water level?
-- 3" Galv pipe that is embedded in concrete, not sure if a casing bigger exists within the well. The static water level is between 10-12'
Has the pump's constant output been tested?
--The jet pump is rated for @ 16GPM at 15' (40psi) depth to water. I have not tested output but probably will soon.
If the above settup is your Grandparents existing softener, what are they planning to replace it with?
-- They had already purchased a whirpool (lowes brand) water softener and its rated at 18.7 Gpm. The existing nelsen scale preventer system was not connected anymore but I tested the valve and inspected vessel to be ok.

I cannot thank you guys enough, I really appreciate your time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your posted report omits two important items that I noticed: iron and manganese.

You did not mention a sulfur smell, which is good.

That Lowes water softener is unlikely to be suitable for 17 GPM. That spec belongs next to the 8 HP vacuum cleaners that run on a 15 amp 120 vac circuit: marketing statements not restricted to truth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks