Katalox Light raises pH above legal limit

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Ill have a good look to see if it's got a stamp id on it, or is it just the internal washer that would need changed - in other words is the internal washer the "button" you mention.
It would be the internal washer that would have an ID number molded in.

The washer can be put in backwards, so don't flip it by mistake.

http://www.softenerparts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=60700&Submit= shows the housing and a couple of washers. Take your caliper with you to check that/if your washers are 0.95 inch OD as that URL says. The Fleck manual says 3/4, but that may be a thread size or something else.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ting-up-fleck-2900s-and-noise-solution.49622/ #13 That is somewhat similar to the washer you would find in your unit. You will like the explanation of how it works.

Last edited:

GerardP

Reaction score
It would be the internal washer that would have an ID number molded in.

The washer can be put in backwards, so don't flip it by mistake.

http://www.softenerparts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=60700&Submit= shows the housing and a couple of washers. Take your caliper with you to check that your washers are 0.95 inch OD as that URL says. The Fleck manual says 3/4, but that may be a thread size or something else.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ting-up-fleck-2900s-and-noise-solution.49622/ #13 That is somewhat similar to the washer you would find in your unit. You will like the explanation of how it works.

Thanks again Reach4. I've just had a look at the Pentair catalogue and I agree with the part you've shown in softenerparts.com. I too think the 3/4 is the thread size and the 8 - 25 g/min buttons fit with the 3/4 to 3/4 brass fitting and the smaller buttons fit the 3/4 to 1/2 fitting. I'm pretty sure my brass fitting is 3/4 to 3/4.

I'll let you know how I get on after the weekend.

Cheers

Gerard

MichaelSK

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid it isn't a misprint! My raw water is consistently recording a pH around 6 (as tested by a Government accredited lab) and the Katalox treated water has been tested twice by a Government Accredited laboratory and both times come it at exactly 9.8. These results also correspond to my own tests using a regularly calibrated Hanna Instrument hand held pH meter.

Originally Watch Water indicated that the reason is that the raw water has very low buffering capacity and that the negatively charged Katalox granules result in an excess concentration of Bicarbonate. However they cannot explain the chemistry in any detail other than to point me to their marketing information on their web site which I find this very incomplete and difficult to understand.

The raw water is generally good quality and comes from a 33m borehole drilled into the granite bedrock. The low pH dissolves iron and presumably some other chemicals from the local stone but apart from that is pretty good quality so the lack of buffering capacity does sound plausible.

I suggested to them that the reason could be the slaked lime which used in the Katalox. As far as I can see slaked lime has an equilibrium pH of around 12 and certainly the Calcium level has increased from 5.2mg/l to 24mg/l. However Watch Water has dismissed this reason. If it was this then I guess, once the slaked lime had been dissolved the pH would lower - this happened with my earlier system which used Calcium Carbonate to increase the pH. Watch Water do advise more backwashing in cases of raised pH which would also fit with the slaked lime being the culprit. However I've backwashed till I'm blue in the face and recorded no decrease. Also I've set the system to backwash every night and the flow rate is excellent - much better than my old BIRM based system due to Katalox being lighter)

Alkalinity is increased from 21mgHCO3/I to 76mgHCO3/l.

The only other "treatment" is a Mazzei air injector upstream from the Katalox. I commissioned the Katalox system around 20 Feb and got accurate test a few days after that and again on 30 March

I have to say that the Katalox has done a good job getting rid of the iron and manganese! Down from 9.7mg/l and 0.25mg/l to 0.79mg/l and 0.04mg/l respectively. The water is also very clear 0.8NTU.

If I could just crack the pH problem I would be very happy. It's a great shame Watch Water don't seem to know what to do.
I would try peracetic acid (C2H4O3). It is a potent oxidizer, for the Katalox, and somewhat of an acidic buffer. You could, perhaps, find it in a large agricultural supply company or a large hospital/dialysis supply company (it is a powerful disinfectant).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks