Katalox Light Filter set up

Users who are viewing this thread

verbalkint99

Reaction score
Ok, after a lot of research, procrastination, and help from several of you I have settled on a filter and where to get it. After looknig at companies online from all over the US, I talked to one today that just so happens to be located less than 10 miles from my house.

Still, it will be half the cost if I do the install myself which I am not worried about doing. However, I can buy it online for their online only price (free S&H) and get everything in seperate boxes and assemble it myself. Or for $90 more, have them assemble everything and I pick it up, and wrestle it into the basement.

So, is the assembly worth the $90? What all is involved? I saw with softeners there are top baskets and gravel beds, are there other components that I am unaware of?

Thank you!!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you pick up the system assembled, I would not lay it horizontal.

As far as going down the stairs, I would strap the tank to a hand truck to help go down the stairs. But then I have a hand truck and straps.

I would think that the assembly would be nearly identical to a softener. In fact, you probably do not have an injection tank (which would be similar for installation to a brine tank). So it may be easier. The controller will not have a turbine, but that was probably already assembled when you did the

You might want to check that the BLFC is big enough. For a 10 inch tank, 7 GPM is probably enough in cooler water, and 8 might be better with warmer water. In MI, your well water would be fairly cool, so 7 should be OK.

verbalkint99

Reaction score
I will check on that Reach, do I need to worry about that though if there is no brine or solution tanks? Or will the BF water travel through it anyway? (dumb question I know)

Also, something else I just thought of. Will there be any benefit to installing a presure gauge before or after the filter (or both)?

And thanks again for all the help Ditto!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would install a boiler drain valve. It could be useful for various things:
  • You can screw a pressure gauge onto it
  • draw unsoftened water for watering plants or if you want to drink unsoftened water
  • it can be a place where you could draw a water sample to check effectiveness of just the filter.
I would consider putting a whole house filter housing after the KL filter. That filter could be a 1 micron filter if you like. It could also serve as a QC thing. It would be nice to be able to measure pressure on both sides of that. I like the 20 x 4.5 Pentek Big Blue housings myself. They take a lot of readily available cartridges.

Regarding a solution tank to feed a solution during backwash, there is not a lot of discussion on that. Do see https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/katalox-light.55338/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks