Katalox and softener set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Carp480

Reaction score
Basic info needed to verify some questions I just want to be 100% before setting up the system.
30 Grains of hardness
No iron or almost undetectable.
High H2s
No manganese tested but suspect rather high due to known well issues in area.
Ph neutral

Looking at a Katalox for HGH and Manganese removal.1.5 CF unit
48K softener our average usage is at or below 210 gallons per day.
And finally a 20 inch big blue for carbon filter(may not need but will still have since deep water well)215ft.

My main questions being is the Katalox system overkill with almost no iron present I want to eliminate the H2s and manganese. Also does the Katalox unit need the the air injection to perform since this a deep water well and oxygen deplete.
If the Katalox unit doesn't need an air injection can it simply use a backwash filter timer?

I am also going in the direction of the Katalox since I plant to assemble the parts myself rather than purchase a system prebuilt. Both the Softener and the Katalox can be done for less than half of a so called pre built system.

From all that I have researched it would appear to be the lowest maintenance and most effective for my issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
My H2S + iron filter uses Centaur Carbon with a bleach solution drawn from a solution tank during backwash. I don't know whether the bleach oxidizes accumulated stuff from my CC or kills off potential stuff, or both. It works nicely for me. I don't know how KL compares for H2S removal. The H2S was not strong, but it was my major motivation for the backwashing filter. There may be better ways to deal with your water, but I don't have a prescription.
High H2s
Ph neutral
I suspect you don't have a number for H2S, and if you did, it would probably not mean anything to me.
You really should get a lab test that includes MN.

HGH is a typo, but I don't see how your fingers hit those keys when trying to type H2S.

With KL, I would probably backwash with H2O2 solution. http://www.watchwater.de/pdf/katalox-light/KL_Brochure_NEW_ver_1.1.pdf

Your backwash rate for KL in a 10 inch tank should be about 8 GPM.

I am not a pro.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
"High" h2s is not something that can be worked with. We need a real number. I have seen .2 ppm cause nasty odors. I have seen over 130 ppm that would make a skunks armpit smell like vanilla frosting. Both of these levels get treated very differently. Do you have a real lab report you can share with us? When it comes to manganese, KL is the preferred choice. H2o2 is the simplest regenerant (constant regen is preferred) but this usually requires a flow based injection system. Be very wary of the low price components you can find online, many of them are simply junk or counterfeit components/media.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Basic info needed to verify some questions I just want to be 100% before setting up the system.
30 Grains of hardness
No iron or almost undetectable.
High H2s
Ph neutral

48K softener our average usage is at or below 210 gallons per day.
And finally a 20 inch big blue for carbon filter(may not need but will still have since deep water well)215ft.

My main questions being is the Katalox system overkill with almost no iron present I want to eliminate the H2s and manganese. Also does the Katalox unit need the the air injection to perform since this a deep water well and oxygen deplete.
If the Katalox unit doesn't need an air injection can it simply use a backwash filter timer?

I am also going in the direction of the Katalox since I plant to assemble the parts myself rather than purchase a system prebuilt. Both the Softener and the Katalox can be done for less than half of a so called pre built system.

From all that I have researched it would appear to be the lowest maintenance and most effective for my issues.
What did you end up with? I have a very similar situation. No Iron, high H2S and Hard Water..
I recently installed an AIO Katalox and it seems to be doing a good job with the smell.. However its still faint. I think I am going to add a Catalytic Carbon tank as the final scrub for any remaining H2S.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Adding a catalytic carbon tank for h2s reduction usually helps. Be wary, many companies sell Catalytic carbon systems but then blend in a 51/49 mix of cat and std. carbon in order to save a few dollars.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Adding a catalytic carbon tank for h2s reduction usually helps. Be wary, many companies sell Catalytic carbon systems but then blend in a 51/49 mix of cat and std. carbon in order to save a few dollars.

I have a freshly cleaned 10x54 tank. How much Catalytic Carbon is needed to refill this and how much gravel.
Who makes a good brand and where is the best place to order it?

As I understand it. Regular Carbon has a shorter lifespan than Cat since it gets backwashed.. Not really sure exactly what backwashing does since its being washed with the same water it is cleaning. There should be very little particulate mater after the KL

Its very hard to absorb 30 plus years of experience you all have in a few posts on a forum. But I am committed to becoming the master of my water system. Teach a man to Fish :) Thanks for everyone's help here.

ditttohead

Reaction score
1.5 ft3 of carbon and 15# of NSF gravel is the correct amount of media. Both catalytic and standard carbon should be backwashed, they look identical, it would likely be impossible to know the difference with the naked eye. It takes special testing to determine what type you have. As to the brand... there are many cheaper, poorly manufactured catalytic and standard carbon medias on the market. In order to be nice, I won't mention it here in an open forum...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks