K copper to pitless splice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Adkroot

Reaction score
I have to splice in a short section of underground tubing between 3/4 k copper and a pitless. Is my best bet for a sound and worry free union sweating in a section of k copper with a coupling, or is there a more "bullet proof" approach that I can bury and not fret over?
Thanks

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would you use copper when 160 or 200 psi poly is easier to work with, less expensive and will last forever?

Adkroot

Reaction score
Why would you use copper when 160 or 200 psi poly is easier to work with, less expensive and will last forever?
The existing water service from pitless to pressure tank is 90' of copper. It's not a new install. Can't justify digging up 90' of driveway and lawn when I have a 8' section exposed and ready to repair.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The existing water service from pitless to pressure tank is 90' of copper. It's not a new install. Can't justify digging up 90' of driveway and lawn when I have a 8' section exposed and ready to repair.

Understandable

Adkroot

Reaction score
Why did the previous connection fail?
Not sure. It was sound for 10 years and then began leaking. It's well below frost. There is substantial vibration from the submersible which may have worked on the connection.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard to believe the vibration would cause a sweat joint to break. But if you think that's the cause, I'd isolate the pitless from the copper with a section of poly.

Adkroot

Reaction score
Hard to believe the vibration would cause a sweat joint to break. But if you think that's the cause, I'd isolate the pitless from the copper with a section of poly.
No, the joint that failed is a pex to copper connection. It wasn't a sweat joint. I need to splice in a 7' length from the pitless to 3/4 k copper and wonder what is the most sound approach for underground. I'd like to continue with copper right to the pitless.

Adkroot

Reaction score
Do I need to know what a "pitless" is? I'm assuming we're not talking prunes and cherries here.
Pity-less maybe is the right phrase in this instance. Bad planning to have to run 90' of water line and fall a few feet short having to add any type connection.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do I need to know what a "pitless" is? I'm assuming we're not talking prunes and cherries here.
A pitless adapter is a special fitting allowing a water pipe below the frost line to connect to the drop pipe in the water well. The fitting will have a means to allow the drop pipe to be raised up for maintenance and replaced back into place. This pitless carries the pressurized water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks