Just wondering if system is working properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. Totally honest, I like that. From my experience with putting the tank on the system I would not recommend it. I would go with the CSV. It is not doing what I thought it would for whatever reason.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long does the pump run now?

Differences in pressure on the two gauges when no water is being drawn or pumped does not indicate anything other than a difference in gauge calibration or altitude between gauges.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The existing 20 gallon tank is right at the pressure switch so I am thinking I will be good. Thanks for the help,

I dont know why the well guys install such small tanks unless they use the CSV. I have a friend here that is just about done with building a house and I mentioned this to him. He said his tank was in the "hot rock" with the well head for his submersible 2 HP pump and he wondered why it was so small. I told him about the CSV as a way to fix the problem if they did not install one for him. I am betting they did not.

Small tanks are also installed because the pump man wants to beat the other quotes to get the job. Water still comes out the faucets so the customer doesn’t know the difference until they start researching why their pumps don’t last very long.

23 years ago I was installing CSV’s with 80 gallon tanks. 15 years ago I changed to using 20 gallon tanks with CSV’s. Many pump installers told me they had been installing CSV’s with 2.2 gallon tanks without problems for many years, so they would fit under the “hot rock”. So about 8 years ago I started installing 4.5 gallon size tanks with CSV’s.

As you can see I didn’t just make up this stuff. The small tank and CSV has been well tested and proven. Many thousands of systems have been installed with a small tank and a CSV over many years. If the small tank with a CSV was a problem, we would be hearing about a lot of failures the same way we hear about all the failures with VFD’s.

There is nothing wrong with using a large tank with a CSV. I just no longer believe a big tank has any benefit.

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
OK going to buy a CSV. Valveman which one do I need? Not much on plastics so will get one that is bronze if I can but whatever will work best with pex tubing. The line it will mount is 3/4" (supply from well before pressure switch right?). Do you need anymore info?
I see they have them on ebay, is that a good idea? Thanks for the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 3HP you will need the CSV2W125 and keep the 20 gallon tank. That is still a very small tank for a 3HP even with a CSV. Make sure whoever you buy it from has a phone number you can call and can help if you need it. Otherwise you get Ebay quality help and you will be calling someone who didn't get to sell the valve and won't be very willing to help.

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Not sure what horsepower is on this new house. Old House had 3 HP. I found the well tag but there is no HP on that just depth and casing info. I will see if I can find out something from the well company. Maybe tomorrow before I get an answer. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks