Just to get you guys worked up, what do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Marty53, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Marty53

Marty53 New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

[​IMG]

I think you already knew the answer...
  3. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

I'm pretty sure code prohibits "moving parts" inside the trap.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I like the way it will move the blockage to a less accessible part of the pipe.

Defeats one of the objectives of a trap: to catch blockages so they are more easily removed.

How many wedding rings will be irretrievably lost with those things?
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

I was going to come down on this like a ton of bricks but then I remembered that waterless urinals are allowed and they use a bell trap which is also prohibited so in the end it is just another product that will be shoved upon the public because it is easier, faster, and more convieniant. :mad: It's times like this when I truely miss NHMaster's comments
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Name sounds familior....Where is NHMaster?

I'm not endorsing this POS, but where does the code prohibit the moving parts?

Oh, hey if you read the description, you can get your coffee stirrers back! Mmm... hairy greasy soapy coffee ... Mmmm....

Hook a motor to it and turn it into a chopper pump? ;)

Oh it says that traditional p-trap design is "made from Polypropylene/PVC or brass/chrome that rusts and corrodes." I hate it when I encounter rusty PVC...
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. Cass

Cass Plumber

The owner will sell enough of these to retire and there will be enough in the field for us plumbers to replace and make $$$ doing it so I am all for it...:D
  8. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Code prohibits traps with moving parts to maintain a seal.
  9. Marty53

Marty53 New Member

yea it doesn't seem like it would stand the test of time with all those parts. Thats where I see it failing. I do think the clear plastic has some advantages, if its in an enclosed location where you only would have to look at it if theres a clog.

So are you saying because the moving parts aren't making the seal it is allowable by code?
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

Next week it will be on TV for $19.95, and if you order within 10 minutes you will get TWO of them, just pay the separate $20.00 S&H. There cannot be any internal restricions, (the codes say they shall be self cleaning which means the obstruction is not supposed to happen in the trap in the first place), and that wheel is definitely a restriction. PLUS since it is NOT a pump, all it can do is "flip" and obstruction up into the wall bent. That's assuming the stoppage is NOT hair and soap which has accumulated on the paddle wheel.
  11. CountryBumkin

CountryBumkin New Member

I guess you're right to question my reply about code not allowing "traps with moving parts"
    I was thinking of line 1 when I replied (and forgot about the last half of the sentance):

(From Florida Building Code) 1002.3 Prohibited traps. The following types of traps are prohibited:

1. Traps that depend on moving parts to maintain the seal.
    2. Bell traps.
    3. Crown-vented traps.
    4. Traps not integral with a fixture and that depend on interior partitions for the seal, except those traps constructed of an approved material that is resistant to corrosion and degradation.
    5. "S" traps.
    6. Drum traps.
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

Maybe the inventor could change that "flapper" to a multivaned rotor, and hook a generator to the shaft. Then they could generate electricity while the water is draining.
  13. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

That thing will make your traps plug up more then a standard p-trap will on it's own.

I have been doing service pluming for many years now and I have to say it's a bit of a myth that your "trap" is most likely to plug up your sink. It does happen but I find that in bathroom sinks it's the mechanical waste that catches hair and stuff. In kitchen sinks I find it's usually down stream a bit from the trap. This is because all the heavy solids tend to get left behind in old dirty systems.

I wouldn't sell someone one of these traps if the company gave me 1000 of them for free. How could you ask an elderly person to go around and clean out their traps from time to time. "All you have to do sir is go around to all 8 sinks in your house here and rotate this little wheel for a bit running some hot water. Oh and because this is such a crappy design/idea for a trap you'll have to do it fairly often on your most used sinks!"

:D:D
  14. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

Didn't you watch the video?
    It has a neat little retrieval part in it where they very easuly retrieve a ring ;)

I do like the clear pipe
  15. FloridaOrange

You can get clear traps Dave. Hair traps.

[​IMG]
  16. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

anyone know?
  17. FloridaOrange

Unfortunately, not around.
  18. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

Him & Gary are on another self help forum I visit
    Picking up right where they left off
  19. HoracioO

HoracioO New Member

Next they'll add LED lights then claim it saves energy.

Frankly I prefer my drains shaken not stirred Miss Moneypenny!
  20. Cookie

Cookie .

Well, better there than on a DIY forum such as this.