Just replaced the pipe on my well. Now it won't prime.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Liam O'Dowd, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Liam O'Dowd

Liam O'Dowd New Member

After reading this forum for a month I decided the only thing to do was replace the pipe in my well. A month ago the pump would lose prime if the water wasn't running. If I turned of the faucets in the house of for more than an hour it would lose prime. So after 10 backbreaking hours with a sledge hammer and a chain hoist we got the old pipe out. It had holes rusted through in a few places. We then put PVC pipe back in. The only difference in the pipes other than material is the PVC is 1 1/2" and the steel pipe was 1 1/4" in diameter. exact same lengths and there is water in the pipe. But for some reason it will not prime. Any help will be appreciated. Pump is 1/2 hp, and the well is 17 1/2' deep.
  2. Liam O'Dowd

Liam O'Dowd New Member

Sorry for not including this in first post. This is a sand point shallow well. Water table is around 10' down.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

So you have an 1 1/2" screen on the bottom of that 17.5'??
  4. Liam O'Dowd

Liam O'Dowd New Member

Think I found the problem. One of the fittings on the pipe just before the one way valve there was a small crack. Enough that when I tried to poor water down the well pipe it leaked.
  5. craigpump

craigpump Member

You either have a suction leak or you haven't completely loaded the pipes and pump with water
  6. Smooky

Smooky Member

Did you install a foot valve?
  7. Liam O'Dowd

Liam O'Dowd New Member

I found it. It was a crack in the PVC connector. Thanks Craigpump. And Smooky no I didn't it is a shallow sandpoint well.