Just replaced the pipe on my well. Now it won't prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Liam O'Dowd

Reaction score
After reading this forum for a month I decided the only thing to do was replace the pipe in my well. A month ago the pump would lose prime if the water wasn't running. If I turned of the faucets in the house of for more than an hour it would lose prime. So after 10 backbreaking hours with a sledge hammer and a chain hoist we got the old pipe out. It had holes rusted through in a few places. We then put PVC pipe back in. The only difference in the pipes other than material is the PVC is 1 1/2" and the steel pipe was 1 1/4" in diameter. exact same lengths and there is water in the pipe. But for some reason it will not prime. Any help will be appreciated. Pump is 1/2 hp, and the well is 17 1/2' deep.

Liam O'Dowd

Reaction score
Think I found the problem. One of the fittings on the pipe just before the one way valve there was a small crack. Enough that when I tried to poor water down the well pipe it leaked.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You either have a suction leak or you haven't completely loaded the pipes and pump with water

Liam O'Dowd

Reaction score
I found it. It was a crack in the PVC connector. Thanks Craigpump. And Smooky no I didn't it is a shallow sandpoint well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks