Just replaced my water line; now my water smells and tastes funny

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by fredgmeyer, Aug 28, 2007.

1. fredgmeyer

fredgmeyer New Member

I just removed the old galvanized service line from the house to the property line with 3/4" Type L copper. Now the water has a strange smell/taste - similar to what it smells like when you're using the torch to heat the couplings during soldering. This was my first major plumbing job, so it's entirely possible that I was using too much flux, solder, or heated the couplings too long and got some oxidation, and maybe the smell is related to that. I've run the water quite a bit in each fixture, have taken a shower, etc, but the smell/taste is still there. Any idea what it might be.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's normal as I understand it, and will go away over time, sooner on the hot water line than the cold.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Sounds like you are describing the taste of flux (which is what you smell when sweat soldering).

I'd flush it as long as it took to get it out of there before drinking it, and even then probably use a filter for drinking water.
  4. fredgmeyer

fredgmeyer New Member

Thanks guys...I appreciate the feedback.