Just replaced my water line; now my water smells and tastes funny

Users who are viewing this thread

fredgmeyer

Reaction score
I just removed the old galvanized service line from the house to the property line with 3/4" Type L copper. Now the water has a strange smell/taste - similar to what it smells like when you're using the torch to heat the couplings during soldering. This was my first major plumbing job, so it's entirely possible that I was using too much flux, solder, or heated the couplings too long and got some oxidation, and maybe the smell is related to that. I've run the water quite a bit in each fixture, have taken a shower, etc, but the smell/taste is still there. Any idea what it might be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's normal as I understand it, and will go away over time, sooner on the hot water line than the cold.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are describing the taste of flux (which is what you smell when sweat soldering).

I'd flush it as long as it took to get it out of there before drinking it, and even then probably use a filter for drinking water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks