Just lost water pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

AdamL0030

Reaction score
Hey all, I apologize if this is a redundant topic but I did not see anything that was completely related in other posts.
Anyway, I was using the kitchen sink earlier tonight and heard what sounded like a thud in the basement where the pressure tank and hot water heater are located. Water pressure immediately dropped and eventually reduced to a trickle. There is a frost-free faucet aprox 200ft from house which was also inop (I'm assuming this runs through the house first?). This is my parent's house that I have spent a few nights at while they are out of town so my knowledge of the plumbing is not 100% but hopefully sufficient. I do know that the well pump was replaced about 3 years ago but was a very difficult process due to cave-ins from the sandy soil and they had a sediment issue in their water which seemed to dissipate over time. I know that this is a very vague description so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Adam

Also,
house about 35 years old, well several hundred feet deep, water pressure never great but comparable with neighbors, just added baby wipes to my grocery list :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The "thump" was probably the bladder in the pressure tank hitting the bottom when the pump failed to start. Check the little grey box (pressure switch) located at the base of the tank. Tap it a little and see if the pump starts. The tube to the pressure switch could be clogged, the points in the switch could be bad, or at least that is a good place to start.

Reach4

Reaction score
Walk down to the basement and take a look. Look for water. Check pressure gauge. See if you can operate the pressure switch after removing the cover. Don't touch the metal under the cover with your fingers. Instead use an insulated tool such as a plastic.

Chcck the breaker for the well pump.

Probably call the well company.

Don't flush baby wipes down the toilet.

AdamL0030

Reaction score
No visible water. Pressure gauge at zero. Opened pressure switch and cycled contacts a few times (stuck in closed position).
Thanks for the replies.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would check for 240 VAC between the sets of contacts using a multimeter. If that is present, call your well service person.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks