Just an idea.... modifications of UniFit adapter.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Reach4, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Looking at [​IMG] from
    http://www.terrylove.com/wc/unifit.htm it seems that the 12 inch Unifit adapter is made from the same pieces as the 10-inch, but that an extender is added. [​IMG] And the 16 has 2 of those extenders.

It seems to me that if a toilet had clearances, Toto could offer an 18-inch rough in toilet.

It also seems to me that somebody could make a kit to make a 13.4 inc rough-in or whatever size from a 12. I suspect the glue cannot be defeated, but maybe an extender piece could be made that could be cut to length. Just idea.... It won't be me.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There would be a technical limit on how long you could make the adapter...too long, with the volume of water in the flush, and it may not achieve the siphon needed to pull it all through - some amount has to be falling down the drain at the end before you stop dumping water from the bowl to pull it all through. Should work as long as you didn't exceed that. Get is any longer, though, and you wouldn't be able to hide the wall end with the toilet base.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There was another thread regarding modifying the adapter and I believe that it was determined the the pipe used in the adapter is not a standard pipe size.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

The special applications would be low volume, but a machine shop could turn out some pieces. In a few years we will be discussing making special adapters on our 3-d printers. :)

Imagine a system where the manufacturer designed the system to incorporate a length of 2-inch PVC that the plumber could cut to the exact rough-in distance desired.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It's more about the length of the bowl. How long to do you "want" a bowl sticking out from the wall. Right now the 14" takes up most of the space up front. I don't think you can extend it 4" more inches and get the bowl to set down over it.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Even if it would somehow be possible, the expense of doing it would be more than having a plumber relocate the flange.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They could do it if they cut a "half moon" opening in the front of the toliet for it to stick out. Or spend mega dollars to redesign the bowl to cover it, so they could sell ONE toilet to you.
  8. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member