Just a trickle on hot side of AS faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

freddy333

Reaction score
Model: American Standard single handle kitchen facer

Issue; hot suddenly dropped to a trickle. Cold side is normal.

Actions and notes so far:
Confirmed stop valves open

Then closed valves... hot still a trickle (but less)

Then connected hot line to cold valve. .. still only a trickle!

Then replaced ceramic disc cartridge under handle and replaced washers. Also check inlet on manifold for obvious blockage. DID not fix flow.

Update: I am in a warm city (vancouver) and all other faucets in condo are functional for hot water.

Help?

Only guess: valve gasket broke so both valve issue and flow issue?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I don't know where you are located, but it sounds like a frozen hot water line. If so, leave the faucet open so the water leaking through will thaw the line.

freddy333

Reaction score
I don't know where you are located, but it sounds like a frozen hot water line. If so, leave the faucet open so the water leaking through will thaw the line.
Thanks for the reply. .. I'm in Vancouver (usually 40-45 F degrees this time of yr) all 4 other faucets in condo work for hot.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How old is the water heater?
Sometimes something can get in the hot side internally of the faucet. You might try backing flushing it from the cold side.
Or worse case, it may be toast.

Have you taken off the water supply line on the hot side and run it into a bucket?

Last edited:

freddy333

Reaction score
How old is the water heater?
Sometimes something can get in the hot side internally of the faucet. You might try backing flushing it.

Thanks for the reply, Terry...Water heater is about 7.5 years old...also notable that the hot stop valve will not stop the trickle by closing valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Then connected hot line to cold valve. .. still only a trickle!"

It's in the faucet. If you can't back flush it out of there, it's replacement time.

In a condo above the first floor, we replace water heaters every ten years.
Ten years is plenty good. More than that, and you chance ruining everything below you.

And it would be nice to see Winter on the West Coast sometime. I want to get some skiing in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
shutoff-rubber-bits.jpg

This shutoff was pulled from the hot side. Some of these rubber bits made their way to the hot side of the kitchen faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks