Junction box at wall and ceiling fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

pex006

Reaction score
Hi. I need to bring some wires together at a wall light and ceiling light that is under and interior window soffit(so a ceiling fan would never be able to be put there and a fan support box would never be required). Can I use either of these boxes to mount the fixture for a higher wire capacity to avoid working through a smaller square to round mudring.

Attachments

• 100_2345.jpg
    100_2345.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 661
  • 100_2346.jpg
    100_2346.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 361
  • 100_2343.jpg
    100_2343.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,894
Reaction score
Well, I don't like to speak in absolutes on this one.

One rule to know is that the outer edge of the box cannot be more than an eighth of an inch back from the surface of the plaster/drywall/whathave you.

The boxes you show at the bottom are for masonry, but I don't think I'd much care about that.

The ring you show will support most medium and small light fixtures, so I'd be OK with it.

Is the light all made of metal, especially that which shoves up against the ceiling? I've never seen one that was not, but you never know.

Really, the purpose of the code in this area is that the wires and especially the joins in the wires all be contained in non-flammable material. Steel is a good choice! Wall board is hard to light on fire.

As long as any potential arcing in the box is not going to send sparks onto timber, you pretty much are doing the right thing.

But me? I'd prefer a large box with the correct mud ring. Unless the wires are very old with brittle insulation, you should be able to manage the business of making the connections and then shoving the whole lot back up into the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks