Jumbo or regular wax ring? Spacer or no spacer?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by buyonsale3, Aug 31, 2009.

1. buyonsale3

buyonsale3 New Member

We recently purchased two new Drakes (very excited) for our half bath and master bath.
    With both, the flange is level to the sub floor, so it sits below the cement board, tile, etc.
    I purchased two jumbo wax rings at the time but wonder if that is sufficient, or should I get two spacers (one for each toilet) and use the jumbo wax ring (or regular wax ring).

So basically given that the flange is at the sub floor:
    A. Spacer added with regular wax ring
    B. Spacer added with jumbo wax ring
    C. No spacer with jumbo wax ring

Thanks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

There will be many opinions on this.

If you are not raising the flange, you need to either double up the wax, or perhaps the thick wax will be enough.

If the wax is not compressing when the bowl is pushed down, you will need more wax.

Our typical installation in the Seattle area is to use two wax rings.

Or you can push a Fluidmaster waxless seal on the bottom of the bowl, and then drop the bowl down.

[​IMG]
    Install kit for toilets
    Notice that the bag of bolts includes four nuts and four washers.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Like Terry said, many opinions.

I had the same thing in my 2 baths after tile put down. I used Fernco waxless seals since I liked the way they attach to the toilet horn better. The funnel extends down into the closet flange far enough to handle many if not most low flanges.
  4. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

My only experience is with one where a spacer was not added when they (contractor for previous owner) tiled and changed the level. It leaked on the ceiling below after about a year. I don't know what they used in the way of a wax ring, looked like a normal one and it sealed initially...just barely as there was no real deformation on one end when I removed it. So from now on I will go with a spacer.

Just repaired the ceiling damage last night.

One thing that came up is that the Oatey spacer called for some silicone adhesive sealant in a groove on the bottom. Some old plumbing supply guy told me he never used that and just slapped them in dry. I ignored him and went with the letter of the instructions (they made sense to me...it's what I would have done without any instructions.) Any comments on this?