Joist under tub drain.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ckl111, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ckl111

ckl111 Home Builder

Replacing an old tub with a new fiberglass one. The tub drain is directly over the floor joist. Is it ok to offset the drain and overflow with some 45s? The water drains fine but I wanted to check if there was a better way to do this. With the offset, we only had to slightly notch the joist at an angle. I can sister a new 2x8 on the other side later.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That would be fine.
    Normally I offset a little differently, keeing the santee vertical and 45 over the overflow tube, but what you have works too.
  3. ckl111

ckl111 Home Builder

Keeping the tee vertical was the original plan but the copper was in the way. I didn't want to move it unless it was necessary. The old drain came down the other side of the joist but that side is boxed in with a kitchen bulkhead that wont be accessible until the kitchen demo is complete.

I see what you mean now though. If I used a regular 45 instead of the street 45, maybe I could have offset it a little more to clear the pipe and then 45 the overflow keeping the santee vertical.

Thanks Terry
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013