Joist under tub drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
Replacing an old tub with a new fiberglass one. The tub drain is directly over the floor joist. Is it ok to offset the drain and overflow with some 45s? The water drains fine but I wanted to check if there was a better way to do this. With the offset, we only had to slightly notch the joist at an angle. I can sister a new 2x8 on the other side later.

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3,692

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would be fine.
Normally I offset a little differently, keeing the santee vertical and 45 over the overflow tube, but what you have works too.

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
Keeping the tee vertical was the original plan but the copper was in the way. I didn't want to move it unless it was necessary. The old drain came down the other side of the joist but that side is boxed in with a kitchen bulkhead that wont be accessible until the kitchen demo is complete.

I see what you mean now though. If I used a regular 45 instead of the street 45, maybe I could have offset it a little more to clear the pipe and then 45 the overflow keeping the santee vertical.

Thanks Terry

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks