Joining ABS to PVC

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by BuickGN, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BuickGN

BuickGN New Member

Is this against code? My house is plumbed with ABS but I have access to a lot of PVC fittings/pipe and want to know if I can join them together. Which glue should I use if it is OK?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

In most areas you cannot join them directly, but must use a transition coupling such as a Mission, No-Hub type, coupling specific for the two materials. Once you have made the transition, you cannot change back again, however.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

PVC to ABS

The problem is, the so-called "glue" used for these materials iis not really glue. The work by chemical reaction that literally welds the pieces together. Since ABS and PVC have different compositions, the "glue" for one does not work on the other. That's why you would have to use a no-hub type connector.
  4. BuickGN

BuickGN New Member

OK, makes sense to me.
  5. BuickGN

BuickGN New Member

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pvc

Most codes do not allow a transition glue, but our gas utility, which has high pressure mains, used it all the time to transition from the old ABS lines to their new PVC ones. But they do not have to answer to any code authority.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  7. Deb

Deb Plumber

Deb

No.
    The chemistry doesn't change--you cannot "glue" PVC to ABS.
    Deb
    The Pipewench
  8. BuickGN

BuickGN New Member

Well, I think I am going to just rip out the ABS where it goes into the CI drain and use a ty-seal with the PVC. I hear those are a bear to put in though. On the other end where I plan on keeping the ABS I will use some no-hub connectors.
  9. Kristi

Kristi Tradesman Plumber

Buick - you could join the pvc and abs using no glue at all - try a rubber coupling if you have your heart set on a quick connection... personally I like to stick with abs
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  10. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Abs/pvc

I know you have extra fittings laying around, but ABS and PVC fittings are not all that expensive. Why not just bite the bullet and get the fittings that match you system? I had a bunch of left over ABS fittings from a job I did, and I just put them on a table in my driveway like a mini yard sale. Sold some, tossed the rest.