Johnson Tee

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mah25, Oct 14, 2005.

1. mah25

mah25 New Member

I am looking to use a Johnson Tee in place of the standard air gap for a dishwasher and I would like to know what fittings are used to make the Johnson Tee.

Thank you.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I don't know what a Johnson tee is, but if you want to replace the "standard air gap" for you DW, you don't need anything except the OEM hose that came with the machine. The only reason to use a special air gap is if local code requires. All you do is loop the hose so that the top of the loop is higher than the top of the DW, being careful to attach it (usually to the underside of the countertop) in such a way that the hose can not kink. It drain end connects to the disposal if you have one or to the sink drain using a special tail piece if you don't have a disposal. The loop prevents the washer from gravity draining.
  3. mah25

mah25 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I know that many places accept the "loop" in place of an air gap; however, in Clark County, WA they require a standard air gap.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I'll try to post a picture of a johnson tee in a few days.

Terry

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. mah25

mah25 New Member

Thanks Terry, a picture would be great! Alot better than writing a thousand words...
  6. mah25

mah25 New Member

Just a bump up the board, Terry. Would sure like that picture...
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tee

If it is the fitting I am thinking about, then you do not make one, you buy it and install it in the wall. It is not approved by codes because they do not want to pay the large amount necessary to get it tested and approved.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Could this be the same as a "Wisconsin" or "Texas" tee? I saw a Wisconsin tee once, and as I recall, it had 4" outlets like a normal tee, but also had another 2" outlet on top. It might even have been a 4" cross with the 2" top outlet. Next time I go to HD or Lowes, I'll prowl the fittings and report if I find anything.