Johnson Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

mah25

Reaction score
I am looking to use a Johnson Tee in place of the standard air gap for a dishwasher and I would like to know what fittings are used to make the Johnson Tee.

Thank you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what a Johnson tee is, but if you want to replace the "standard air gap" for you DW, you don't need anything except the OEM hose that came with the machine. The only reason to use a special air gap is if local code requires. All you do is loop the hose so that the top of the loop is higher than the top of the DW, being careful to attach it (usually to the underside of the countertop) in such a way that the hose can not kink. It drain end connects to the disposal if you have one or to the sink drain using a special tail piece if you don't have a disposal. The loop prevents the washer from gravity draining.

mah25

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I know that many places accept the "loop" in place of an air gap; however, in Clark County, WA they require a standard air gap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'll try to post a picture of a johnson tee in a few days.

Terry

johnson_tee_2.jpg

king-county-dw-1.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

If it is the fitting I am thinking about, then you do not make one, you buy it and install it in the wall. It is not approved by codes because they do not want to pay the large amount necessary to get it tested and approved.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could this be the same as a "Wisconsin" or "Texas" tee? I saw a Wisconsin tee once, and as I recall, it had 4" outlets like a normal tee, but also had another 2" outlet on top. It might even have been a 4" cross with the 2" top outlet. Next time I go to HD or Lowes, I'll prowl the fittings and report if I find anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks