Jobs done, stacks in; but ripped?

Users who are viewing this thread

chipy

Reaction score
I'd like to address a few things here.

Were you given an an "estimate" or a "quote"?

Yes i was given an estimate, but it wasn't written (there's even a spot for it on the work order). The most important thing i can note here was that it was assured if the job was done sooner it would be cheaper than estimated. The job was done 1 hour sooner..

If i am given an estimate, i expect it to be close; within 10%. If you can't produce an accurate estimate, you probably shouldn't be doing this kind of work or still have much to learn.

As others mentioned, a quote would be exact (as long as it is complete).

If are a professional plumber, you should have the tools (software/etc) to scan/itemize parts *as you take them off your truck*; for the good of you, your inventory, and customers. There are barcode scanners for cellphones, and you can start there. Even a pen and paper would be suitable. I won't explain how to build an industry here. Just because most are not competent at data entry doesn't mean we shouldn't be doing it, and that it shouldn't be done for customers.

Take a photo and mock-up a drawing; anything. A photo says a thousand words, and most plumbers could explain the job to the customer and themselves with a photo and overlay in a few minutes on a tablet. I saw those guys making decisions on the spot, and at one point, one of them had to go for parts nearby... Again, the degree of professionalism is something you choose. There are several industries besides plumbing where the culture of specification/documentation is severely lacking. The common "not good at drawing" is all too common.

I'm surprised how many professional contractors insist on not using email... Instead of wasting time on the phone (probably interrupting you on a job), we can share any amount of information both *instantly* and at our own pace, saving time (and what mostly sounds like aggravation) for both ends.

I believe they walked away with more than they should of. Will allow anyone to make their profit, but that's really part of their hourly rate that they set; not marking up part charges and adding mysterious service fees. 10-20% margin is reasonable, but in this case it much over 20% (at least 26%.. job was done sooner, remember?); which is a big number when you are working with bigger numbers. Sidebar: Anyone watch shark tank and get pissed at the margins? I do not buy those products (and apple) for that reason. Customers shouldn't be paying for marketing.

Aware there are con artists out there, and of my *6* estimates, 2 were ripoffs (using fear/etc), 1 didn't want to do it, and the other 3 gave a reasonable range.

Happy the job is done, but not counting my blessings, nor am I surprised about what i payed. It's a fairly simply formula: parts + labor (90-140$/hr) * hours + bullshit = cost. Obviously, reduce the bullshit.

IMO, that lead on pvc still still seeems stupid. Wouldn't expect a plumber to know about coefficients of thermal expansion. Aren't there gaskets for this? I believe the best option here was a no-hub as one of the plumbers offered, but they ended up taking it all the way down to the cleanout. There are pros and cons of each. I'll caulk it up an call it a day.

Lessons learned.

Guess who got to do the job again this year?

Yep.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Anytime you request an estimate or quote, BEFORE the job is done, the person is going to add a "fudge factor:" to cover ANY unforeseen problems. You do NOT get this money back if the job goes the way it should. It is what you pay for the assurance that you won't have to pay more than that, regardless of any 'problems' that crop up, (unless they are so major that he has to recalculate the cost of the job). A customer once told me, "You will not be successful if you just charge for labor and do not mark up your materials".

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ,

I know a few guys who didn't mark up their materials, they now work for the competition who does.

chipy

Reaction score
Still couldn't figure out the service call fee. Guy was blunt and said its for the first half hour of service, but the rate doesn't match up.

Also, regarding the thermal expansion of PVC, a swing of 25 degrees could expand 100 feet almost 1 inch [1]. If you are taking the circumference of a 4 inch pipe (12") that could be about 1/64" of gap. Not sure what you guys considered sealed, and 63/64 is not 100%.

IN ADDITION, taking the fact the joint is heated to a high temperature and cooled, the effects of expansion would be significant.

[1] http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-expansion-pvc-d_782.html

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Also, regarding the thermal expansion of PVC, a swing of 25 degrees could expand 100 feet almost 1 inch [1]. If you are taking the circumference of a 4 inch pipe (12") that could be about 1/64" of gap.
As a highly trained engineer, I question this math ;) Are you a statistician by any chance?

Ignoring the expansion of the iron/lead, that's more like less than 1/300" gap 4 * (1/(12 * 100). Anyway, it doesn't matter, since the real joint is the oakum packing underneath the lead.

As for the final price, $250 sounds reasonable. I can see where you might feel a bit jerked around, but I wouldn't complain about the final price.

Reach4

Reaction score
As a highly trained engineer, I question this math ;) Are you a statistician by any chance?

Ignoring the expansion of the iron/lead, that's more like less than 1/300" gap 4 * (1/(12 * 100).
Using coefficients for PVC-lead, I come up with 1/597 (0.00167625) inch and if I were to assume that the pipe was centered in the lead, it would be half that. If the PVC is under compression due to caulking iron, it may be elastic enough to make the gap zero.

I understand this means nothing to the person who feels he was injured. Just a little physics exercise.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4. I was too lazy to look it up and do the real math...

Not so sure about the elasticity working for/against a good fit. My (lazy) guess is that the joint would open up. Of course, like the man said, its not an issue at all.

Chipy, sorry to hear about the bad experience. While I believe looking at the material cost is meaningless, it sounds like you were charged more than you were lead to believe it would cost -- not what is should cost, but what it would cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks