Jet Pump running constantly, wont get above 42psi, shut off att 45psi

Users who are viewing this thread

jay3129

Reaction score
For the last few days i have been turning off my jet pump manually by just flicking the power offand on, it doesnt restart then....It is as though it cant get to its shut off pressure at 45psi.once the guage gets to 35 psi it pumps very slowly. it take 30 secs to get from 25 psi(cut on point)to 35 psi and about 5 min to get to 40, then pumps continuously at 42psi(always have to shut off manually). Bought a new pressure switch, have not put it on yet cause i dont see why it would be the problem if the pump cant get to cut off point, maybe there a slight clog in pump?,any help would be appreciated:confused:

ms191

Reaction score
I had the same problem and it turned out to be a clogged jet. If you have a 2 line system remove the lines from the pump. You will have to make a plug with an air chuck in it so you can pump some air into the system. The larger of the 2 lines will get the air chuck and the smaller should be directed into a bucket. Blow air into the air chuck with a compressor and backflush the water through the jet and out of the small line. When I did this I had to do it twice but I got an huge amount of dirt and small pebbles out of the line. This junk cloggs the jet and the pump will not build pressure to shut off the switch. Good luck.

Speedbump

Reaction score
A pump won't get to 40 psi with a plugged jet, so that's probably not the problem. You may have a piece of scale or a stone in one of the volutes of the impeller, but it's doubtful since the jet is usually the first thing to plug. You may also have a falling water level. That will make the high pressure harder to get to.

bob...

pat t

Reaction score
similar problem with our jet pump

Our jet pump is set to shut off at 40# but it just keeps running, only getting up to 38#.

We took pump apart and replaced old impeller and impeller housing and diaphragm.

Pump still only goes to 38# and will not shut off.

This is a jet pump at a summer cottage. It pumps water out of a lake. We have about 50 feet from lake to pump and then 200 feet from pump to camp.

Thanks for any help.

Pat T

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is this a shallow well jet pump (one pipe from pump to the lake)?

If so, what size and kind of pipe to the lake?

Has the lake level dropped lately?

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks