Jet Pump problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
jet pump develops leak at discharge end..
I have a home well with 2200 gal sto tank which sends water to the jet pump that sends water to a to 30 gal pressurized tank then the water goes to the house and other outlets.

I had closed the water intake valve that is between the water reservoir tank and the jet pump.
i also closed the discharge end of the pressurized tank

i somehow forgot to turn them both back on and left the scene for over 24 hrs.

While in this "closed system"condition,somehow, the jet received a signal to turn on sometime within the 24 hours i was not home.
How could the jet pump have received a signal to pump water into the pressurized tank when there were no faucets on or leaks in the system?

The only way i can imagine is there was/is a slow leak in the bladder that would cause the jet to come on. ???
Any ideas?

On to the damage resulting from this

When i arrived home,I could hear a faint "humm of the jet motor. It sounded similar to the well when its pumping water ( very quiet.) The jet is always much louder than the well pump(deep well type) except at this time.

After a cooling off period of a half hr, the jet started right up,pumping water. It now sounds louder as it normaly does but now it leaks water around the jet discharge outlet where the pvc joins the jet housing.
Appears to be in a complete 360 degree fashion around the threaded interface of the pvc and the metal housing of the jet pump.
This point is where the pvc comes out of the jet housing and pipes the water to the presurized tank.

QUESTIONS
1-Why would thIS leak occur?

2-How could the jet have received a signal to pump water into the pressurized tank when there were no faucets on or leaks in the system? leaking bladder possibly? anything else?

3) how else could I test or determine if the pressure tank has a bladder problem?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think the bladder in the tank is leaking. I think one or both of the ball valves was leaking, which is very common. This is what caused the pump to start. You are lucky if the pipe connection is the only thing that failed from overheating the pump. It usually gets the mechanical seal between the pump and motor. Drain the water out of the tank, and check the tanks air charge with a tire gauge.

Timbuktu

Reaction score
If i check the pressure after emptying the tank wouldnt the pressure be zero?
What am i looking for and what is it suppose to tell me?
Everything seems to work fine on it since it cooled down and started back up yesterdayexcept for the small water leak i mentioned yesterday ,at the point of the jets discharge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With the pump off and all the water drain from the tank, you should still have 5 PSI less air than the pressure switch start point. 40/60 switch, 35 PSI air in the tank.

Timbuktu

Reaction score
I don't think the bladder in the tank is leaking. I think one or both of the ball valves was leaking, which is very common. This is what caused the pump to start. You are lucky if the pipe connection is the only thing that failed from overheating the pump. It usually gets the mechanical seal between the pump and motor. Drain the water out of the tank, and check the tanks air charge with a tire gauge.

I just started replacing the pipe. Taking a break now.
I noticed the 1" pvc that comes out of the jet was swelled by abot 1/16of an inch. The increased pressure did that plus it blew out pipe compound that was put on the threads going into the jet. That is what caused the largest leak from that spot.
The 1" pvc that was connected to this piece and goes to the pressure tank had some of the glue displaced from that pressure and developed a leak there too.

I wonder why there isnt an idiots pressure valve we can put in line . i guess Im lucky the pvc glue and pipe compounds gave way and was my relief valve.
If they hadnt Im guessing ,like you mentioned earlier,the seals would have and then my motor would have destructed.

And to think,I am one of those highly trained and skilled nuclear engineers. i love the night shift as it allows me to mess around most of the day when at home and still get some sleep while at work. What a job! What a counntry. Only in amerika! Well Fukashima and Chernobyl too.
There are 400+ in the world and the usa is scheduled to build more.
I feel a rant coming on,so Ill stop.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks